1. AmandaC

AmandaC Member

A New Beginning

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by AmandaC, Sep 13, 2009.

I've been writing since I was in grade school. Most of it terrible and the result of a very active imagination. As time went on I went from scribbling things down in notebooks to typing them in my lap top. Without backing any of it up.

And then...my laptop went tits up.

I lost everything. Every poem, every story I'd started and never finished (of which there were several) and one piece that I'd been working on and tweaking since the eight grade, I kid you not. Two pieces--incidentally, the only two short stories I've completed that are not crap--survived because I had a hard copy of them.

If I'd anticipated my bad luck I would have said that I'd be devastated. Truth be told it's actually very liberating. Suddenly I can start fresh. All the good ideas that were poorly executed because I couldn't bring myself to frog it and star over; gone.

Has this every happened to any of you?

I'm trying to figure out which ideas to revamp and which to throw out. I have a new philosophy that I'm trying to stick to. Focus on how you tell the story, rather than the story itself. Because, lets face it, even the best stories are god-awful tripe if poorly told.

2. ManhattanMss

ManhattanMss Contributing Member

Hooray for you! Yes, that's exactly what happened to me about 20 years ago, and I discovered the very same thing you're talking about. Understanding that creativity comes from a fresh viewpoint is not just a "freeing" experience (which it is), it's also intensely reassuring.

3. Rumpole40k

Rumpole40k Banned

I lost 40,000 words. Instead of writing it off, I started rewriting it. About 2 months ago, I found a copy of the original version My new version was superior in every way. start with whatever idea first gabs your attention and then move from there.

4. SayWhatNow?

SayWhatNow? Senior Member

I print stuff out to avoid that. It's alot simpler than installing backup, copying and pasting files, etc.

Btw, I love your description, "My laptop went tits up."

You have restored my faith in humanity :D

5. Unit7

Unit7 Contributing Member Contributor

I lost quite a few story starts. Though they were only 1 paragraph to a page long usually. Though alot of my work had been saved on fictionpress/fanfiction so I didn't really lose a whole lot.

All I really did was realize my writing folder was less cluttered.

6. Cyrano

Cyrano Member

Same thing happened to my old pc. It got shut off during a service pack update, and when I turned it back on everything was missing on the computer. It was like it was right out of the box.

My writing was mostly run-on fantasies I had written since the 6th grade, and it kinda felt good to have that embarrassing chapter of my writing career disappear.

However, I also mod video games like Call of Duty, and lost hundreds of hours of work.

Whats worse, I could have fixed it back to normal for free, but my dad (not very tech savvy) paid Geek Squad a hundred bucks to reinstall the operating system (something which I also could have done for free).

Boy, did I rage.

7. lipton_lover

lipton_lover Contributing Member

I typically write first drafts on paper, and I almost never have an unfinished first draft. I write short stories, and I think I've written every single one in one sitting (again, first drafts). After that copies end up online here and on my site, on my computer, the first draft still on paper, sometimes I print them out, and then on my Touch. So though it'd take some effort to collect the bits I want (The latest draft, usually) I don't think it'd be possible for me to actually lose a complete piece.

Nate

8. Dcoin

Dcoin Contributing Member

I have an external drive the I back up my stuff on, but only on a bi-weekly basis. Well I crashed and lost a weeks worth of work and that was enough to send me into a tissy.

I admire you for taking this in stride.