1. Hypatia53

Hypatia53 New Member

A new global village neighbor

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Hypatia53, Sep 8, 2012.

I love to read, learn, think, and communicate. As a teen I wanted to volunteer at the local library, but that lasted only a few days because it seemed I was checking out more books than I was shelving... I then needed more time to read all those books so had no time for volunteering. ;)

In English when we were given new words to learn and had to write sentences using these new words, I create a fictional world and group of people that I wrote sentences about using the new words, I figured the teachers were probably as bored by the "same old same old" generic sentences that the usual student threw together just to complete the homework.

I've kept a journal since I was in junior high (that term in itself should date me) back in the 60's. In High School I took the journalism class every year so I could be on the newspaper staff. At a summer "camp" at Washington State University, I received an outstanding journalism award even though I had attended for the music program. In college, one of the English Department instructors, ask me to submit my poetry to the annual creative writing publication. I was published both times I submitted. I frequently hear, "you write beautifully," whatever that means :rolleyes:

I like to write, but I'm not sure what to write. I don't feel a need to be published, at least not at a conscious level (although it is nice when it happens). I love science fiction and fantasy, but don't have a strong motivation to write it. I don't think I want to write fiction, although that is my preferred reading genres. So I guess that leaves me with non-fiction.

I toy with the idea of writing a history of my lifetime, a fabric woven from both my personal experiences and how they were a part of the history of the times. I remember "voting" for JFK when I was in second grade and that day in fifth grade when they told us he had been shot. I've lived with the rapid pace of technological innovation as well as cultural revolution(s). I also find myself aware of the losing of "small" histories. All know of the broad historical brush strokes, but what was the personal experience?

History records and people remember, the surface of the pond before the stone is thrown, the splash as the stone hits; but how many see what happens to the fish, the aquatic plants, even the other stones at the bottom of the pond have experienced the event. Or noticed how the ever spreading ripples will even affect the shoreline. I'd like to write about that, both from my own experience, but the experiences of the people who have touched my life as well.

I also would like to write a family history. Not just record a genealogy, but save the stories of my family for my family, but to share as well. And at some point, I'd like to expand that to gathering the family stories of other people. We are losing such rich memories, history that is being lost as our world changes.

But... I have no idea where to start. But how can I make a chapter outline... it feels like telling Lewis and Clark to draw a map of how they plan to make it to the Pacific Ocean before they even started the journey. Who is my "audience"? Myself, my family... maybe no one yet alive? Perhaps it's just the act of learning, thinking, remembering, and recording it is the goal and if something else grows from it, "bonus points"! :D

Whew... sure hope I haven't reached my character limit. So... OK, this has been my introduction. I've thrown my pebble into the pond, and now I will see what happens.

2. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Welcome to Writing Forums, Hypatia53!

I hope you find what you're looking for here, whatever your interests in writing.

This forum aims to provide the best workshopping resources on the internet, and to that end we have a few rules which you should familiarise yourself with before you get stuck in. The main section of the site is the Writing Workshop, where members can post their writing in order to receive critique of their work.

However, before we allow members to post their work, they must have met some basic requirments. Firstly, you must have been a member for fourteen days, and have made twenty posts on the forum overall (please note, posts in Word Games do not count towards this). This is so that members, when they post their work, have familiarised themselves with the forums and contributed to them (as well as hopefully learned something for themselves). Secondly, members must provide two constructive reviews of other people's work for each piece of their own that they wish to post. This is because we believe that the focus of workshopping should be equally upon giving reviews as receiving them, as they allow a writer to practice and improve their editing skills, which they can then apply to their own writing.

Beyond the Writing Workshop, you will find that we have extensive forums for discussion of aspects of writing, as well as a community area for general discussion. We also run periodic short story and poetry contests, which are good for challenging yourself and expanding your skills.

If you have any questions or problems, then the moderators (myself, Cogito, Lemex and Dante Dases) should be your first port of call. Any technical problems with the site itself should be directed to Daniel, the site administrator and owner. I would recommend you have a look over the rules so that you know what to expect, and what is expected. But aside from that, I hope you enjoy your time here.

Banzai