1. RobT

RobT Active Member

Novel A Novel Idea

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by RobT, May 17, 2010.

I recently read a thread that mentioned the books where you jumped around pages depending on what action the reader chose, you know the ones where it says if you do this turn to page 56 or if you do that turn to page 99. This got me thinking of what else you can do with a novel.

Excluding turning your novel in a film script, play or a comic book the only thing that sprang to mind was the “treasure trail” books, the ones where someone has buried some priceless artefact and you have to read the book to solve the clues and riddles in the hope of finding the treasure before anyone else.

Whilst I appreciate a story is a story, is a story. I was wondering does anyone have any novel ideas what else could be done with a novel?

2. Humour Whiffet

Humour Whiffet Banned

Novel things to do with novels? Well, Stephen King's novels make good doorstops.

3. RobT

RobT Active Member

lol, that's pretty much all I could get to ;-)

4. Mila

Mila New Member

I've used one or two as ass-paper.

You know what would be a good idea ? You know when you have a brilliant story, but it's just so badly written you'd rather pull your own teeth than read it ? Well what if there were a programme that re-writes it into something coherant, and also fills in any plot holes...oh, though. We already have fanfic for that.

Joking aside, I'm happy just reading a story...

5. Humour Whiffet

Humour Whiffet Banned

If you have a wicked streak, here’s something fun to do. Cut out the final page of a novel using a razor blade (that way it’s not noticeable). Then lend the book to one of your buddies to read.

6. Manav

Manav New Member

But make sure the book is of the kind that your friend would want to read till the end. Otherwise, the joke is on you :)

7. RobT

RobT Active Member

That happened to me. I had a car stolen a few years ago and when I got it back the book I was reading was still in the back. After a couple of weeks I sat down to finish it and I was mighty pissed off a few hours later when I realised the car thief had ripped out the last few pages :mad:

Although I can smile about it now.

8. MissBelle

MissBelle New Member

AWWW. Mean. :D

9. thewordsmith

thewordsmith Contributor Contributor

HAH !​

Oh, stop! Can't catch my breath - laughing too hard! I never thought of the doorstop concept. Thanks for the tip.

10. Mantha Hendrix

Mantha Hendrix New Member

Northern Ireland... the place I've taken for grant
    That's genius...

11. Nobeler Than Lettuce

Nobeler Than Lettuce New Member

I once rolled some joints out of "The Grapes of Wrath", though somehow I don't think that's what the original poster had in mind.

As far as treasure hunting, a short story or book featuring locations with GeoCaches would be excellent. Beats following in the footsteps of that guy from Ulysses.