Tags:
  1. Some_Bloke

Some_Bloke Active Member

Any good resources for learning more about cars/technical terms?

Discussion in 'Research' started by Some_Bloke, Mar 10, 2015.

In my zombie story, Northern Ireland Undead (or NI Undead for short) one of the characters has an obsession with cars. It's an important part of her character and on a few occasions, important to the story. If I am to make this character believable I need to learn some technical terms as there's (obviously) a few scenes in which she is either talking about or fixing up a car.

I'm not going to sit down and watch every single episode of Top Gear, nor am I going to go to a nearby college and learn all of these things as I try to fix cars myself. College is expensive and I think after a few seasons back to back you'd eventually get tired of Jeremy Clarkson's mug :D

You might be wondering "Some_Bloke, just why the hell would you even try to write a character who has an obsession with cars if you know bugger all about cars?" The answer, because I am an idiot and once I have a fully developed character in my head I find it really difficult to make major changes. That and because the group uses cars to get around a lot they need someone who knows what they are doing.

2. Chinspinner

Chinspinner Contributor Contributor

Surely you can find everything you need via the awesome power of google/ Wikipedia?

3. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/home-garden/automobiles.html

You could probably find this book, Auto Repair and Maintenance for Dummies, in the library if there isn't enough on the webpage itself.

4. Bryan Romer

Bryan Romer Contributor Contributor