1. Rob40

Rob40 Active Member

A personal Algernon syndrome

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Rob40, Sep 25, 2016.

I had been on more or less a creative hiatus. Starting in February I began to climb the ladder to the better job in the same occupation; no relation to writing. I bought a suit, tailored to fit a recent me and the ties and shirts to go with. I attended an industry conference in March, received an interview for the end of April, an offer two weeks later and seven weeks of class from August until now. I was buried in preparation, technical systems manuals, no plots, characters or enlightening material. What they say about writing and reading lots became poignant because I didn't have time for any of it with frequency, therefore, all of my sad and limited skills slid backward. I was Charlie Gordon for a bit, but now I have to re-start. I see the same mechanical issues that I had managed to get rid of in the past year.

So I get to terrorize you all with recently re-visited and more terrible style. I hope I can warm up and get back in tune for November.

cydney likes this.
  2. cydney

cydney Banned

I remember Algernon but don't remember the details. I'll have to look it up. I certainly understand being terrorized. :)

3. Rob40

Rob40 Active Member

Charlie Gordon, with an IQ of 68 has an operation to become smart and does well but slides uncontrollably back to what he was before. We all have to practice to maintain skills and talent we use every day but I pretty much attacked them. heh. Island of Dr. Moreau had the same theme, operate on animals to make them hyper-intelligent but in the end, they just reverted to their base state.

cydney likes this.
  4. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

I actually don't think writing skills erode very quickly, if at all. What does fade with a lengthy layoff, in my experience, is familiarity with any particular story ideas you may have been working on. Sometimes they come back to you and sometimes they don't. It's also possible to read something you've written months ago and not looked at since and blurt out, "Where the hell was I going with that?!"

cydney and Wreybies like this.
  5. Wreybies

Wreybies The Ops Pops Operations Manager Staff Contest Administrator Supporter Contributor

Bingo! I recently revisited a piece of my WIP that I had "lain to rest for a while" and trying to retrace where I was going with it took me a while. I literally forgot an entire element around which this section is rotating. It was something that came to me during a run, and for some reason those endorphin-induced epiphanies have a hard time sticking in my long term memory. o_O

cydney likes this.
  6. cydney

cydney Banned

I like this thread - and the honesty it generates.

7. Rob40

Rob40 Active Member

I see your point. I can add to that how skills used over a long period of time are very resilient to time off, whereas my developed skill-set could be considered relatively recent and quite susceptible to time off and attacks upon it.