1. halisme

halisme Contributing Member Contributor

A place where you may shout at a random stranger for not doing something that does not affect you.

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by halisme, Aug 6, 2015.

Well, after trying to write about five different stories over the past year or so, I've realised that my problem is get far too easily distracted and tend to leap from one idea to another without getting anything done. Hence, I ask you, the people, to keep me focused via insults, threats, though gentle words are also appreciated. Anyway, onto the show.

Title: None as of yet
    Setting: A low fantasy world, more specially, an archipelago with a viking inspired culture.
    Synopsis: After a long war to unify the isles, Geir, the second son of the Vanarl (King) makes a deal with the last lord to be brought into the fold that he will take over his lands by marrying the daughter, Alva. However, she worships a malicious being and slowly starts to corrupt her new husband to the point where he plans to kill his older brother and father, as well as any that will turn against him.
    The main protagonist is a mid ranking noble who acted a father figure to Geir during the war and is going to try to keep him sane, however, he also has to deal with his own family life.

So, words of advice? Questions? Preemptive insults? All are welcome.

2. theoriginalmonsterman

theoriginalmonsterman Pickle Contest Administrator Contributor

Your synopsis sounds like a neat idea for a story. The only problem I see is how you're going to keep the story interesting, but I'm sure you'll be able to come up with something.

3. halisme

I have plans. Like I said, it's viking inspired so there's going to be raiding, every now and again, as well as a few side characters.

Boger likes this.
  4. halisme

Okay, I've tinkered with the plot slightly. Due to the low fantasy setting I've decided to make it not a deal but a case of Uterine primogeniture, a husband inheriting his father in law's holding, though in this case the father in law is dead, which fits with the viking style culture. Started work on the first chapter, as well as working out more depth for both the main and side characters.

5. halisme

I started work and I am now about two thousand words in. I've worked out several of the plot points. The first being the organisation of the Jotun, the second being a plague. I'd still like a few more, but I'm working on getting some of the things down first.

6. Scrib

Scrib Active Member

How's it coming along?

7. halisme

I'vr rewritten the first chapter a couple of times. It's one of my bad habits that I can't leave things, even as an outline, if I don't like them.

8. Scrib

Scrib Active Member

Cool :)

Which chapter's next? :D

9. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man Contest Administrator Supporter Contributor

Oooh I love a nice plague. I'll read anything set in the black death times or any sci-fi with an epidemic. /weird

10. halisme

The chapter afterwards is two of the main characters in a tavern trying to get a general idea of how the people of the isle that's get a new ruler will respond it does not go well.

11. halisme

It's mentioned in the first chapter, but will likely be used actively about two thirds of the way through.

12. halisme

As is traditionally for me, I've moved onto something else. Seems like whenever I have a plot worked out I lose interest.

13. Boger

Boger Contributing Member

for me this would be difficult to answer but would you like it if i read it and mildly provide suggestions afterward?

14. halisme

Unfortunately too late, I've started working on other stuff, realised I'm much better at writing pulpy fantasy than the political kind.

15. Boger

Boger Contributing Member

that sounds like a definite no while i do hope for your own good you don't throw it in the trash just in case you some day wake up knowing how to finish a project

anyways that is what i do and for me it works but i completely understand being stuck with several dead ends not sure how to finish anything

good luck m8