1. jazz_sue

jazz_sue New Member

Surprising research sources!

Discussion in 'Research' started by jazz_sue, Sep 18, 2008.

To create plausible narrative, we should always back up our writing with careful research - doubly so if, like me, your genre is science fiction/scientific thriller.

Some time back, I had an (I thought)excellent idea for a story set in the present, but involving quantum physics and brainwave research (Basically, the idea was that, when we are 'created' at conception, the moment the primitive brain/CNS cells come into being they get an almighty jolt of cosmic energy, from an area of the EMR spectrum as yet undiscovered. This enables us to have all the thoughts and emotions that make us human - it could be said to represent the 'soul' although I was trying to avoid too much religion or New Age philosophising. The energy is given 'back' to the cosmos in the form of brain activity during our lifetimes, and each of us has our own unique wave form. The more 'brain power' being exerted, the more energy is released.

Naturally, there is a finite number of these wavelengths, i.e. we share our 'personal frequency' with a great many others. Imagine what might happen if you got lots of people, all on the same frequency, to make maximum use of their minds all at the same time - and someone had figured out a way to capture the energy released?

Intro a government scientist, the one who first discovered these new brainwaves. He is actually employed by the British government in a 'top secret' research facility, tapping-in and modifying the (standard) brain patterns of unsuspecting volunteers. The ministers in Whitehall are using him because he's a genius who knows how to keep his mouth shut: they don't believe for one moment that these ultra powerful brain waves derived from cosmic energy actually exist, but they allow him to do his batty research provided he follow their protocol during working hours.

Needless to say, our scientist becomes disenchanted, turns maverick and proves them all wrong. Cue mucho screwing up of the universal energy field, and two young heroes to the rescue)

Although it sounds like total bunkum, a lot of this was based on modern scientific research (even the 'nuts and bolts' physical biology involving crystalline structures within brain cells) I gave up when I found it nigh on impossible to merge all this (largely hypothetical) info into a plausible and exciting story line without losing my readers. Also, my brain was threatening to explode.

Anyway, I then got into a rather more down-to-earth fight for my rights re sick pay. I won the case single-handed, but along the way I somehow got involved with an independent group called DWPcorruption. I quickly found out they are a bunch of anarchists who really ought not to be let loose near any sharp metal objects. They seem to spend an inordinate amount of time sending incoherent and badly spelt letters to their local MP, emailing their latest 'findings' on the corrupt British government/judges/local Wal-mart to those on their mailing list. I usually delete these without bothering to read them (I hate badly Spagged mail) but the latest one caught my eye.

http://www.angelfire.com/or/mctrl/akwei.html#Detect

The actual mail directed me straight to the entry: NSA Signals Intelligence Use of EMF Brain Stimulation. The sender knew nothing of my book, yet felt this article of particular significance, for some reason. It's way above the intellectual level of their usual postings!

Sorry for the long post, but I get the feeling 'Someone Up There' might well be giving me the kick in the pants I need to get out of the poverty trap.
    Guess who's busy reopening her folder labelled 'Abandoned Works'?!

2. Scarecrow28

Scarecrow28 New Member

Congrats on re-opening the story. I'll often find information either related to my novel or information that will give me the idea for a future novel during school. During the past month or so, I've gotten the idea for two novels during my world history block.

3. Dcoin

Dcoin New Member

I can totally see why hours of research would be required for this project. The idea sounds really interesting! Good luck!

4. Wickerman1972

Wickerman1972 New Member

You're pretty ballsy to describe an elaborate idea like that in such detail on the internet. I personally would not. But I think the idea sounds great. If I saw that on a dust jacket I'd want to read the book.