1. WritefromtheHeart

WritefromtheHeart New Member

A Problem With Writer's Block

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by WritefromtheHeart, Jun 18, 2008.

I have always had problems with writing, because I have writer's block most of the time. This is because I am never excited to write unless I get inpiration and that light bulb goes off in my head, which doesn't happen quite often.

My question to everyone is:
    How do you cope with writer's block and how and where do you get your inpiration. :confused:

I would appreciate any thoughts on this matter.
    Thanks! :)

2. Aurora_Black

Aurora_Black Contributing Member

You can tackle writers block in a few ways.

If the problem is creativity: Free-write, just jot down everything that comes to mind even if it's gibberish for ten minutes, or you can take a good stroll outside, inspiration comes in wierd forms sometimes.

If the problem laziness: Sit down and force yourself to write, I have this problem as well, but I deal with it by writing one sentence, then I just can't stop writing.

If the problem is plot: This site has a lot of good ideas (not to rip off of though) and you can sort of look at things that seem cool to you and make a story of it. If your stuck at a crossroad in your story, make believe it's a movie, how would you make it go on/end?

Hope that helps :)

3. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I get insperation from four places: Novels (I'm always reading), Games (Though not much), Dreams (The more vivid and outlandish the dream, the better) and Real Life (It'll suprise you how many ideas can come to you if you go for a walk one in a while... or even live a humdrum existance).

4. ValianceInEnd

ValianceInEnd Active Member

There's a book called Thinker Toys that has some brilliant creative thinking methods. Go pick it up if you have really bad writer's block.

5. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributing Member Contributor

WriteFromTheHeart,

If you only write when inspiration strikes you...and especially if that's rarely, then you're going to have issues or problems long term.

Sometimes you have to write when you're not 'excited'. If you can't motivate yourself to write in those times, then it is at least partially a self-discipline matter. Constantly seeking inspiration, I don't think will solve the problem. Sitting down and doing what needs to be done...writing, research, editing, seeking markets, all that 'stuff' has to be a priority even when it isn't exciting.

Just one opinion to add to the mix.

Terry

6. Sandy Banks

Sandy Banks Member

I often get writers block when it comes to the creative side. Just like you, i only get the inspiration once in a while. I have two techniques that i use to try and overcome it. One is that i go to a public place e.g a shopping centre or a park, and i people watch and i usually end up getting ideas from that. But you have to be reseptive to whats going on around you. I also steal stories from the TV. Maybe from a soap or some TV series. I just write out the stories from the TV but use my own words and style and see if any original ideas come up. These techniques don't often provide me with ideas for a whole new story, but they just keep me writing whilst i work through the block.

7. Mr Sci Fi

Mr Sci Fi Senior Member

The problem with waiting for inspiration is the moments are so few and far between that you're never going to get anything done. What if you are writing on deadline and can't produce a finished product on time? Are you going to tell your editor that your muse was on sabbatical?

You don't have Writer's Block. Authors are so easy to throw that term around. What you have is inexperience. You need to establish a routine for yourself, a block of time where you dedicate yourself to nothing but writing. The time can differ - Try five minutes, Thirty, or an hour. As long as you get in the habit of writing consistently, you will not have this problem. James Joyce, on average, could only manage like 8 words a day, and even then he didn't know what order to put them in. Just try to put yourself in a writing frame of mind.

And write any old thing, and don't worry about the quality. Give yourself permission to write utter crap. You will revise it later.

8. Moira

Moira Member

My writers block generally comes whilst I am in the middle of a book. I have a great beginning and a mind blowing ending, now I just have to get the too attached. If this is a part of the problem I find listening to music helps. Muse has a song called New Born. Every time I hear it I get another great idea.

Hope everything works out.

-Moira

9. Rebekkamaria

Rebekkamaria Senior Member

I suggest that you read a book called The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron. She's an amazing screenwriter/teacher of creativity. The best advice I ever got from her (from her books) was: write always, don't wait for an inspiration, just write. :) It doesn't have to be good; it can be just your characters having a conversation about a plot problem... anything. But just write. :)

She has one other advice that I find very good: go to artist dates with yourself. Have fun with your artist side. Go to art galleries, markets, old book stores, anywhere that might make you feel wonderful. Those places could be toy stores as well. Writing is in a way playing. It's having fun, doing something that you enjoy (or at least it should be).

1 person likes this.
  10. AuthoressM

AuthoressM Member

Besides the fabulous suggestions already listed, I think it really depends on what kind of stories you write. Is it realistic fiction or fantasy? See, I normally focus on the latter, which makes sources of inspiration a little harder to find in every day activities because, most of the time, you can't just observe people and get ideas for fantasy. It's not impossible, but it's just different than if you are writing realistic fiction.

Other sources that you can draw on to help you write, I find, are history of ancient civilizations. Egypt, Mesopotamia, Persia, etc. You'd be amazed how interesting they are, and how many sources of inspirations can be had from just checking them out.

I also love admiring art, especially at DeviantArt.com. Some of the stuff there is simply amazing and most definitely can be a catalyst for inspiration.