1. General Daedalus

General Daedalus Active Member

A psilocybin experiment

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by General Daedalus, Sep 5, 2015.

Evening, all,

So, on account of the generally relaxed attitudes of WritingForums members, I've decided to post a little experiment I'm conducting. I am of the mindset that there are two types of drug users; degenerates and intellectuals. People seem to think that there is a fine line between smoking pot and being an all-out heroin addict, but I believe that they couldn't be further apart. I am posting this for the purposes of creative research, so in the event of any negative backlash this post garners, please bear in mind that this is for research purposes only.

Psilocybin, in case you didn't know, is the psychoactive compound found in many species of magic mushrooms. It is said to give the user a feeling of euphoria, control (which I desperately require) and open-mindedness. SWIM (someone who isn't me) plans on creating a tea from a selection of mushrooms he picked yesterday (he lives near a site which is notorious for the magic mushrooms which grow there, and 'tis the season). SWIM then plans on writing my novel for me. I'll tell you how he got on once he is all sobered up.

2. Void

Void Contributing Member

I'm not entirely sure I get what you're saying, is this Someone Who Isn't You planning on writing a book about drugs, or just using them to gain ideas for an unrelated book? If this person is intending on writing the book while tripping out, then I'm afraid all you'll end up with is a series of scribbles on the page.

3. General Daedalus

Mainly just as an experiment to see the effects it has on m- er, I mean SWIM's writing. However, SWIM did just ready that the typical dosage should be around 2-2.5g of dried mushrooms for someone who has never consumed psilocybin before. SWIM just took 7g before reading this. SWIM told me; "oh, fuck".

4. OurJud

OurJud Contributing Member Contributor

Please report back on Swim's experiences - I'd be genuinely curious, especially if it's his first time :D

General Daedalus likes this.
  5. Sifunkle

Sifunkle Dis Member

I just hope SWIM did SWIM's research rigorously. Lots of fungi appear very similar, grow in the same locales, and ingesting the wrong one could be a shortcut to liver failure, which would suck for anyone, but especially for a teenager with a lot of living left to do.

There's also the fact that the only difference between a drug and a toxin is dose, which seems pertinent in light of the 2-2.5g vs 7g thing. (My fingers are crossed that 7g is a wet weight.) This is the reason people usually end up a slobbering mess on the bottom of the dance floor, rather than having the intended fun with Special K.

If SWIM starts drowning, I suggest SWIM play it safe and get medical help, disclosing all details illicit or otherwise.

Otherwise, I wish SWIM a safe and happy trip, and look forward to seeing the happy snaps upon SWIM's return.

6. OurJud

I keep forgetting GD is the baby of the forum, and now feel my comments were very irresponsible.

Yes, be careful, young man.

7. D-Doc

D-Doc Active Member

I'm interested as well. It's cool this forum has loosened up a bit. Nobody wants to influence kids to try shit or convince them that it's necessary to write, but I'm sure many of us are interested to see how different substances affect our work. I made a thread about that topic a while back but some mod deleted it.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
  8. No-Name Slob

No-Name Slob Contributing Member Supporter Contributor

I get where you're coming from, but I feel inclined on account of personal responsibility to remind you that intellectuals can become drug addicts as easily as degenerates. Not to marijuana or magic mushrooms necessarily, but do keep in mind that one's motivation does not downplay the seriousness of experimentation at such a young age. I hope you'll hold a healthy reverence for your own boundaries and a strong sense of moderation accordingly, regardless of SWIM's plans.

There. I feel better. :D

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
  9. Mumble Bee

Mumble Bee The writer formerly known as Chained. Contributor

Would taking drugs to write better be the equivalent of steroids for sports? If so, should writing under the influence also be discredited?

No-Name Slob likes this.
  10. No-Name Slob

No-Name Slob Contributing Member Supporter Contributor

I don't think so, because most substances hinder someone's ability to write well, I think. They could help with your imagination, but in order to write the story well, you'd need to be relatively clear headed.

But I don't condone drug use to explore such things. Meditation can work just as well, and it's far less dangerous.

11. General Daedalus

Well, thanks to everyone for all of the friendly responses (and reminders for SWIM not to accidentally kill himself)!

Anyhow, on account of SWIM's lack in botanical and mycological skills, he ended up picking around 4 or 5 actual psilocybin mushrooms, along with (rather foolishly, admittedly) an assortment of random fungus. He wasn't really sure if it worked properly on account of four beers but it was definitely an experience much different from being drunk. He told me he'd very much like to try it again from a reliable source, although my novel is now 3000 words longer which is certainly a good outcome.

12. obsidian_cicatrix

obsidian_cicatrix I ink, therefore I am. Contributor

Be very careful mixing mushrooms with alcohol. It's not an ideal way to go about it. Aside from anything else it will hamper your hit, put more stress on your organs and you'll risk dehydration.

13. OurJud

Especially when half of those mushroom are 'random fungus'. You're asking for trouble GD :rolleyes:

General Daedalus likes this.
  14. Drummy49

Drummy49 New Member

I would agree that the topic merits a discussion. It is my view that mind altering substances can be used in a mature, somewhat academic way to explore the realm of human experience and expand consciousness.

However, drugs contribute in negative ways towards compounding problems for many people. I also tend to think of natural forming substances, cannabis and mushrooms for example, as being less harmful than harder drugs which have been processed/significantly modified, i.e. Cocaine and methamphetamine.

Be responsible, safe, and smart with your experimentation..don't take chances with doses, etc.

I would not expect anything particularly transcendent from the writing either...every tool/aid has it's price.

15. Drummy49

Drummy49 New Member

16. sprirj

sprirj Contributing Member

There is a fine line between intellectual and degenerate also, and SWIM sounds like he could be on either side. The excuse for the need to consume drugs is laughable "I'm going to write YOUR book for you" translate as "I'm an addict". Also the careless way they have picked the mushrooms could lead to death. I would expect they suffered massive stomach pains at the very least. Psychedelics have been used by creative people, but usually for the wrong reasons, and the reason creative people continue to use drugs, is more for the glamour and legend of what there heroes have done before them, not for the good of creativity. If you want to be a writer, you work hard, it's that simple. Don't do drugs kids.