1. Banes

Banes New Member

Finally Finished Novel: Now What?

Discussion in 'Agent Discussion' started by Banes, Oct 30, 2011.

I have finally finished writing and editing my YA Fantasy Novel. It is about 82000 words. I have also finished writing my template query, synopsis, and acceptance letter. (The Secret Right??? :D )

Any ideas or hints on how I should go about querying and getting my book published?

Thanks a bunch!

~ Banes

2. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

It's usually best to try and get an agent. Try agentquery.com, which is a great site for searching through various agents/agencies.

While you wait for the agent's (or publisher's) reply, start writing another novel.

3. Thom

Thom Active Member

And keep writing!! They'll probably want to see more than one example of your work, and the more the merrier!!

Good luck.

4. walshy12238

walshy12238 New Member

Yep, keep writing. If the publisher/agent asks to see more of your work to see you're not a one-hit-wonder, then you'll want to be able to do that right?

Other than that, congrats, and best of luck to you in the future!

5. JellyBean24

JellyBean24 New Member

*Squeals* I am so jealous!

How did you find the motivation? I have a great idea for a novel (at least I think it is great, anyway) but have had trouble finding the motivation to write.

6. architectus

architectus Banned

Jellybean24, I think writers write. They can't go without writing.

OP, yeah, start submitting it and work on your next novel.

7. AmyHolt

AmyHolt New Member

There are several ways to get the names of agents to find out if you would be interested in querying them. The Writer magazine has a section in the back that lists agents and a bit of info about them, Agentquery.com is another as well as looking up indiviual websites from different agencies.

The real work starts when you find an agent that you want to submit a query too. There are about a thousand things you can do to help your submission have a better chance - here are some of the commonly mentioned ones.

You need to make sure the agent represents the kind of book you have writen.
    Find out what their submission guidelines are.
    Find as much info about the agent as possible (Yes, it's okay to stalk them if you do it nicely).
    Read anything about the agent on websites and check out blogs they might write.
    Find out what they like and don't like in a query.
    See what kind of authors they represent and if they represent a book that you could compare yours too.
    Brace yourself for an onslaught of rejection and pray to win the agent lottery.

Congradulations on finishing a novel. You've done something wonderful just by getting this far. Success.

8. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i have several good agent listings i can send you and can also help you with your query, if you want...

congrats on getting this far!

love and hugs, maia
    maia3maia@hotmail.com