1. Molly7

Molly7 New Member

A question about the royalty payments

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by Molly7, Aug 2, 2010.

What is the normal and reasonable royalty payment for a first time author of an instructional itextbook of a core subject for the high school students? Writing this book is expected to take from 24 to 30 months and there is no payment in advance. I'd appreciate any response. Thank you

I'd like also to add that the author is very experienced in writing this kind of text and her writings are very much appreciated in her field but this is the first time she tries to get it published. Thanks

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

there is no norm... you'll have to check each publisher of such books to see what and how they pay...

what's reasonable is whatever the author feels justifies the work she put into it and wants to get out of it...

you can google for publishers, check the bookshelves of your local library/bookshops, or email me for lists of publishers in us, the uk and commonwealth countries...

but if by 'itextbook' you mean an 'e' book, as in only to be sold online and not in print form, they you'll have to check e-publishers...

google is your best friend!

Google going royalty rate for instructional e-books

3. Molly7

Molly7 New Member

What would I have done without you my dear friend mammamaia. God bless you

4. mammamaia

glad to help, sweetiepie!

love and hugs, m

5. Lmc71775

Lmc71775 Active Member

I have a question about royality payments too. What is the going pecentage for e-books, audios and print? I know they are different. I think the e-books are higher, verses the print (which is dissapointing to be lower) but it is.

6. mammamaia

again/still, google should be your first stop...

7. Evelyanin

Evelyanin New Member

If the percentages are higher for e-books, it would make more sense. E-books cost almost virtually nothing in materials, while print books do cost something to make. Plus, I do believe e-books are cheaper than print books. A higher percentage might not neccesarily get you more money.

*Here is an example. Lets say your novel costs about $20 in print. You get a 6% royalty on it. So thats a $1.20 per book. Now lets say that the ebook costs $5. You happen to get a huge 20% royalty on it. That would end up being $1 in your pocket. Just because the percentage is higher doesn't mean you earn more.

*all figures may not be accurate. I did minimal research to come up with the numbers. The 20% royalty is completely made up.

8. mammamaia

a good example, nonetheless...

you must consider more than just the royalty percentage number, when trying to determine how much you'll make on book sales...