1. Mans

Mans Contributing Member

A question about writing the scary story

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Mans, Mar 25, 2013.

When you are writing a scary story, does its horror impress on you. I mean, whether thinking about its horrible views or events or characters scare you ? Do you feel a psychical pressure inwardly during writing or even awhile after finishing the story? In this situation ( writing ) do you write it in a lonely room and at night or you prefer write the story where there are some other persons and at the daytime ? Excuse me just a question :)

2. Xatron

Xatron Contributing Member

If what you are writing is good or if you are invested in it it is only natural to experience the feelings of fear and suspense that a horror story brings with it. I do not write horror stories and still sometimes i put off writing a chapter because i feel nervous when i think what will happen to my characters in those chapters.

3. alexa_

alexa_ Banned

I'm always terrified when something unexpected happens, and when you invent everything by yourself, there is nothing to be scared of. =)

4. T.Trian

T.Trian Overly Pompous Bastard Staff Supporter Contributor

When I write a horror bit into one of our stories with KaTrian, we usually try to go for the most intense, extreme things we can think of. Mind, we don't strive for maximum gore although sometimes there is some of that too but, rather, we try to create this kind of a... dark, suffocating, claustrophobic atmosphere that really grips the reader (we hope) and doesn't let go until the scene is over. To us the atmosphere is everything. You don't need a single gunshot, bogeyman, or pile of guts to create an intense scene.

We find that music helps a lot when you're first writing a scene. One scene was partly inspired by Bill Laswell's Visitation, a fairly haunting piece. We also listened to Abruptum when we wrote a medieval monastery haunted by a malevolent presence (but the thing never materializes as such so everything relies on the atmosphere of the chapter) to get into the whole "demonic" mindset (even though we're not fans of black metal as such or whatever you'd call their music).

Oh, and we definitely feel the scenes and we do turn off the lights, put on the darkest, creepiest music we can find (Gnaw Their Tongues is pretty good for that), and just really dive deep, hoping that some of the intensity we feel would rub off on the scene. So far the feedback has been pretty good, but our "test group" is way too small to say if the scenes truly work or if the betas just happen to be on the same wave length with us.

Usually I've found that the old idea about showing less to create suspense and horror instead of relying on gore and splatter holds true. What you don't see/know/understand is much more likely to induce feelings of dread than some beast with a lion's claws, a goat's head, a pig's tail, and a duck's beak or whatever monsters they show in movies that only manage to get a twitch out of their audience by playing a really loud and ear-grating sound effect when the beast appears. I usually just find that annoying instead of scary.

5. peachalulu

peachalulu Contributing Member Reviewer Contributor

I've never been too spooked reading a horror let alone writing one. Only two books ever really creeped me out - Rats and Dominion by
    James Herbert. Every house noise had my spine tingling and my brain screaming - the rats are coming. Lol.

I might read a few horrors to get in a creepy mood to write but other than that - it's the same as any other story as
    far as I'm concerned.

6. ChaosReigns

ChaosReigns Be Still and Know Contributor

for me, horror is the norm, maybe because of the type of person i am, it all falls into place, a normality,

i can write my horror anywhere, in a half-lit room with no one about or in a bright sunny room with a ton of people about.

for me Music is a huge part of how i write, im a metalhead, but its not all screaming and dark desires, if you take a band such as Dream Theater or Symphony X, their music is much calmer, thus, it depends on the sub genre (of which there are a hundred, possibly)