1. sashas

sashas New Member

A Question of Plot

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by sashas, May 23, 2007.

I'm a newbie writer.
    I frankly, havent read or written even 10% of what many people on this site have.

However, I do have a lot of (what I believe) highly original plots...
    Can a great plot compensate for an OK writing style (I don't know how good I am at the style)?

2. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

Sashas,

Go ahead and get writing. Plot is important, but style is too. As you write, you'll improve. Your voice will develop more fully and come through.

Don't worry if, for the first few chapters, you fell a bit drifting--trying to nail things down such as characters, personalities, description etc. That will come as you get to know your story and characters a little better. And your writing will improve the more you write.

Don't worry, your novel will have to be set aside once the first draft is finished and then taken up for major editing and revision anyway.

Good luck and hang in there. So many people start, but don't ever finish. Be one of those that finishes the first draft, edits/revises, reflects and gets input, edits/revises. Edits and proofs one final time and submits! (and then starts another project while waiting for a response to the first ;) ) It's a long road, but worth it.

Terry

3. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    I started writing only a few months ago. And my first story was going to be a big novel length one. It didn't go as well as I'd planned.
    But from the mistakes I made, and the right things I did, my writing style improved drastically.
    So I set that first project aside (although its waiting to be picked back up when I'm willing to put the time in), and started writing some other stories. These ones are ten times better, and improving.
    Even if your style is horrible, write anyways. Just make sure to look at it all with a critical eye, and have a few neutral people look at it. As long as you stick to it, and don't consider it your sacred, untouchable, little baby, your style will improve.
    Good luck

4. sashas

sashas New Member

Thanks!

Though I have written a bit, and have developed a style of my own, there's always the insecurity of not knowing how good you are.

And I most definitely will continue to write, since its a way for me to talk about my take on issues and philosophy. Its not merely entertainment; a novel that merely entertains just doest cut it.

Part of the problem is that I don't read that much (yeah you heard that right). I always seem to be attracted (or rather, distracted) by the other forms of storytelling - movies. When a guy watches a minimum of 8 movies per week, then his writing starts to resemble a movie script, and thats not exactly the best thing...

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

not really... the best plot in the world won't hold discerning readers' interest, if the writing isn't good enough for them to want to keep reading...

that said, there are many popular writers who've made millions with just 'ok' writing... stephen king, for one... sadly, too many readers don't care how poorly something is written, if the storyline hooks 'em...

6. sashas

sashas New Member

I frankly haven't read much of Stephen King's work, though all his movie adaptations are amazing (Shawshank Redemption remains my favorite movie of all time).

Also,
    Is there any market out there for deeper, philosophical works, or is it that only dumb thrillers sell?

7. mammamaia

Is there any market out there for deeper, philosophical works, or is it that only dumb thrillers sell?

...of course there is... but what do you have in mind?... fiction, or non?

8. sashas

sashas New Member

Fiction.

Say something like the existentialism writers...Camus particularly.
    I like putting characters in weird situations to explore human nature..."What would we do?" kinda questions.

At the same time, I like to write in a Joseph Heller kinda voice.

9. mammamaia

you just answered your own question!... what else would you call 'catch 22'?