Tags:
  1. varsh

varsh New Member

A question on gender

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by varsh, Nov 24, 2008.

I am writing a funny guide book that will help people of a particular country A survive in another particular country B. Since I have been living in B for sometime now, I have some experiences that I want to share and through them, impart some street smartness about how to live in B. But I am male and am writing from a male's perspective. Is this 'ok' for a book? As such the book is being written on niche areas - People from a particular profession, leaving a particular country A and going to another particular country B. On top of this, if I make it a little more niche by addressing only the male gender, will it throttle down the readership? Thoughts please... I am confused...

2. Shadow Dragon

Shadow Dragon Contributing Member Contributor

Well a lot of the tips will likely work for females as well so it won't likely affect your readership as long as you don't go saying that it's specifically for men.

3. varsh

varsh New Member

actually you are right... I thought on the same lines too...

"It might read well only from a male's perspective at times, but then even you lasses out there reading this, will find many things in this book useful.'

This kind of thing should be fine I s'ppose...

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

adding a caveat like that in the intro would be a good idea... or, you could even make it clear with your title, instead... such as: 'an american businessman's guide to survival and social success in bangladesh' or whatever...