Tags:
  1. Matt!

Matt! New Member

Mobile Formatted Website

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Matt!, Feb 2, 2011.

I was wondering if it was possible to have a mobile formatted forum.
    A lot of forums now have an additional simple format, so they can be viewed perfectly on blackberry mobile
    phones and android devices.

As I blackberry owner myself I would love to see a mobile phone formatted website.
    Is there any chance of a mobile formatted website?

2. SashaMerideth

SashaMerideth New Member

While that would be cool for me too, without moving to a different kind of bulletin board software it won't be possible.

3. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Afraid so. Whilst it's a nice idea, it would take a lot of work on Daniel's (the site owner's) part to put it into effect, and potentially a fair bit of money if alternative software is required. Certainly at the moment, it just isn't feasible.

4. Matt!

Matt! New Member

I didn't realise what was involved. Its a shame as it would be great.

5. LordKyleOfEarth

LordKyleOfEarth Contributor Contributor

Use the opera mobile browser. Site looked great on my Sony Erickson 810i and currently on my EVO.

6. Matt!

Matt! New Member

I am using OperaMini now. Thanks, I think it possibly is slightly easier, and I am sure the internet is actually running slightly quicker

7. Daedalus

Daedalus Active Member

As a matter of interest, this feature has now been successfully implemented on writingforums.com. I not familiar as to the details of what was involved to do so, but I must say it works quite well on my Blackberry. :)

8. Baron

Baron New Member

The site automatically detects when it's being accessed by an iPhone or Blackberry, etc. and adapts its style to suit. When accessed from a PC the style remains unchanged.

9. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

Hi,

A mobile-formatted site is something I'm considering. It seems there is interest in using it judging by 2-3 request threads.

If we do implement a mobile style, it will probably be generic and much different than our current custom style.

10. Reggie

Reggie I Like 'Em hot "N Spicy Contributor

It has worked in other forum websites, and I'm sure that it may work here too. Who knows until we try?

11. Baron

Baron New Member

Writingforums.com is running on vBulletin 4.1.2 and the auto-detect mobile style is now a standard part of the software.

Perhaps upgrading the software on this site would offer the best solution to keep both those who want the regular style and those who want the mobile style equally happy.

12. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

I've considered upgrading to vbulletin 4.x. However, since vbulletin was bought out the new management has been lacking in support and product quality. Vbulletin 4 is known for bugs, lackluster features, few plug-ins from the community, and overly-high prices.

Additionally, upgrading to 4.x would require a monetary investment, not including a complete re-stylization.

We may someday make this upgrade, but we'll stick with vbulletin 3.8 for the foreseeable future.

That said, a mobile style is still a possibility. I'm looking into it now.

13. Baron

Baron New Member

This opinion is diametrically opposed to my own experience of vB4. Recent patches also allow for plug-ins and styles for older versions to be used.

As far as price is concerned, on my own site I'm happy to put paid subscriptions back into the site.