A quiet writing PC...

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by StoryWeaver, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Jack Asher

Jack Asher Banned Contributor

My desktop, discarding its now useless fake graphics card armor, leaps into an A-10 Warthog and unleashes a barrage of 30mm canon fire at your desktops pathetic tank.

2. StoryWeaver

StoryWeaver Member

sorry, i should have said i am re-building (improving/quieting) my existing desktop. I have an AMD six core (hexacore) cpu, ASUS motherboard (mobo), had a massive and old but fast geForce graphics card (gpu) that had two fans (that were quiet when new but got real noisy with worn bearings over time), sata hard drives.

so i just this last week swapped out that noisy fan cooled graphics card for a fanless silent graphics card that should be fine for gaming:

I just ordered a new mobo so i can have sata-3 connectors/bus to get maxium R/W speed from the 240GB SSD silent drive i also ordered to put my Windows 7 operating system and apps on.

I previously posted the case fan and cpu fan I use that are extremely quiet.
    Case: Cooler Master HAF (high air flow) case
    Motherboard: ASRock MB970EX4
    Graphics card: ASUS HD 7750 1GB GDDR5 fanless
    SSD drive: Crucial M500 240GB for C: Windows 7 and apps)

3. Aled James Taylor

Aled James Taylor Contributor Contributor

My desktop is on top of my desk.

4. Aled James Taylor

Aled James Taylor Contributor Contributor

For a truly silent PC try total immersion oil cooling. Fill a suitably sized tank with oil, remove all the fans from the PC's innards and, will all wires connected, place the motherboard etc into the tank.

5. Edward M. Grant

Edward M. Grant Contributor Contributor

My gaming PC sits under the desk with an i7-3770 plus GTX660 GPU, 180GB SSD, and two 3TB HDDs, and the only time I ever hear it make noise is when it boots up. Even when playing games, it's not audible over the normal noises in the house.

Which doesn't entirely surprise me, because I once plugged it into a power meter and it maxed out at about 200W when playing games. Normal desktop use was well under 100W, I think. My old Pentium 4 was closer to 400W when playing games, and that sounded like a jet engine.

For that matter, we have an i5-something-or-other, generation before the 3770, sitting by the TV as a PVR, and that's inaudible from the sofa. That uses the integrated graphics, and I think it never got over 100W.