1. blackstar21595

blackstar21595 Contributing Member

A Simple Way to Create Suspense by Lee Child

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by blackstar21595, Jan 28, 2013.

2 people like this.
  2. BallerGamer

BallerGamer Active Member

Awesome read!

3. Sved

Sved Senior Member

Lee Child is my favorite writer!

4. Khaelmin

Khaelmin Active Member

Man, I gotta say, this makes a ton of sense. Thanks for the excerpt, blackstar!

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

whenever you post material by another writer, it's necessary to highlight it and hit the 'quote' icon... or at least put " " around it manually... otherwise, the readers can't tell which are your words and which are the quoted author's...

also, it's not kosher to post verbatim copy from someone else's website unless they specifically say it can be done... plus, you need to cite the website where it was found, as well as the author's name...

it's nice of you to post helpful advice to writers, but please go over the site rules 'n regs on this issue before posting any more material that is not your own... and follow standard ethical practice when quoting another's work...

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

deleted dupe

7. blackstar21595

the website was nytimes.com
    I'm pretty sure it's fine to use articles from a news site. Also, I put the quotations around it now. But yeah my intention was to help my fellow writers, not take credit for words that I didnt say.

8. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Like maia said, posting the whole article is a no-no. You should always post a small excerpt and then provide a link to the original page.

9. blackstar21595

i'm sorry then. But may i ask what is the reasoning behind me posting an excerpt if I'm going to post a link to the full article in it's entirety? Doesn't that seem redundant? I'm not stealing anyone's work, I clearly say it's not mine, and it's on a public website.

10. BallerGamer

BallerGamer Active Member

Maybe I could chime in on an answer. I frequent a sports website a lot and the reason is that so people will click on the link, and that will generate hits for the website where the article was originally published. If a person reads the entire article without going to the website they won't get credit for the viewer hit.

11. blackstar21595

ah, that makes sense then

12. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

It's more than just that. Copying the whole article is only allowed if the author allows it. Reposting entire articles can be seen as a form of plagiarism, even if the author's name is there and there's a link to the original source.

13. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Not really. It's okay to post a brief extract, with full attribution of the source, as part of a review, essay, or discussion, under the Fair Use aspect of international copyright law. However, reposting large blocks or entire articles without specific permission is not kosher.

14. blackstar21595

But wait, isn't it only illegal when it's for profit or taking away someone else's sales. In regards to what Baller said, it takes away views from the site so I understand that. But I'm not making any profit for this, and I'm just trying to help fellow writers with something that is free for educational purposes. I guess I'll just make it an excerpt and do that for the future then if I find anything helpful

15. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

No. You can be in violation of copyright law even in the absence of a profit motive.

You should read and understand at least the fundametals of copyright law. For the United states, look to http://www.copyright.gov/. Other countries that are signatory to the Bourne Convention will have similar copyright laws.

This site takes copyright and other intellectual property laws very seriously.

16. blackstar21595

Thanks for the link Cogito, I'll be sure to read that and see how copyright applies to articles on the internet as well. And, I'm assuming I received an infraction for this? I guess I won't try to give useful bits of info to my fellow writers then if it results in infractions.

17. Trilby

Trilby Contributing Member Contributor

Hi Blackstar, thank you for sharing this excerpt.

18. NigeTheHat

NigeTheHat Contributing Member Contributor

Neat article.

I use very similar techniques when copywriting - tease a solution to the problem at the beginning of the ad without revealing what that solution is, and you can keep a prospect reading through your whole sales pitch.

Most sites actively encourage syndication if you do just post an excerpt and give a link back to the original site. They get most of their money from viewing impressions on their ads, so any traffic from here to there will be gratefully accepted. They won't like posting the full article, because then they're not going to get any more viewers.