1. Holden

Holden New Member

Books About Medieval Times

Discussion in 'Research' started by Holden, Feb 26, 2011.

Can anyone suggest in-depth non-fiction books regarding all aspects of Medieval culture? I don't need a book with everything, but good writings on weapons, social hierarchy, warfare, politics, etc. are appreciated.

Emphasis on the weapons/warfare aspects of it all.

Thanks.

2. lost123

lost123 New Member

In the name of honor by james North Patterson

3. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

OK give me dates and location, and I may have suggestions ? Medieval is very different around the world and covers around a 1000 years of history.

4. Holden

Holden New Member

1100-1600, Europe and, to a lesser extent, the Middle East.

5. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

OK books my Michael Hicks and Thomas Asbridge are my favourite, Colin Heywood has a book about family and children growing up from medieval times onward which is really good. He also has one about the Ottoman Empire. There is a book called the Time Traveller's guide to the Fourteenth Century which is fun.

Always look into the kids books Horrible Histories they are fantastic and possibly your best resource for army fighting/crusades etc - there are also clips from a TV show based on them - Uppity Women of Medieval Times. Not so good on the rest of Europe I am afraid.

I know you said non fiction but still recommend Ellis Peters Cadfael for me it is by far the best fictional depiction of medieval England also has information and anecdotes about the crusades and the middle east.

6. ScaryMonster

ScaryMonster Active Member

Are you just interested in Medieval Europe? Or Asia?

You Might read
    "The Prince" By Machiavelli

On a warfare there's
    Sun Tsu's "The Art of War"

There's "The Anglo Saxon Chronicle"
    The annals were initially created late in the 9th century, probably in Wessex, during the reign of Alfred the Great.

There's the "Domesday Book" which is a great survey of much of England and parts of Wales completed in 1086, executed for William I of England, or William the Conqueror.

There's the "Norse Saga's" if you want it from the Vikings side.

These are books that were actually written in dark age and medieval times as apposed to modern interpretations of past times.

If you really want to learn from the original material I'd give these a go.

These are all semi non fiction, but if you're serious about getting into the medieval mindset then read "Beowulf", it's the oldest fictional story written in Anglo Saxon (pro-to English if you will).

"The Canterbury Tales" By Geoffrey Chaucer

You can get into all the Arthurian stuff "Le Morte d'Arthur" well and there's Tristan and "Yvain, the Knight with the Lion" and lot's more.