Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gamecat

Gamecat New Member

Horror boot camp

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Gamecat, Jun 28, 2009.

A while ago now I helped to set up a horror stories boot camp.

What the hell's that?

I'm glad you asked, what an inquisitive mind you have.

The idea was simple. A members only section of the web site was created. Members of this group would have a one month turn around time in which to produce a horror story. You were given two weeks in which to produce a horror short which was posted anonymously. One week in which to critique the other stories and vote which one you thought best. Then one week for further discussions about the critiques themselves and how helpful they were. Then the cycle would start again.

Each new cycle the authors would elect whether they wanted to be active or not as you can't always guarantee a free period where you can give enough time to do this.

The cool part of this from my perspective was that we created a new profile for the main website which the winning story was posted under ("Dr Dark", I know how cheesy it is but it was slightly tongue in cheek) and over the months Dr Dark created an anthology of the best horror we could produce.

I was wondering if we could get something similar set up here. I'm not sure how the whole anonymous submission thing would work here or whether we can set up a forum that only members of the group can access. But would anyone be interested in this idea?

2. Dr. Doctor

Dr. Doctor New Member

I'd be up for it. Would be a fun creative exercise because I suck at writing horror. :D

3. CosmicMeatballs

CosmicMeatballs Banned

Does this work for Writting horror screenplays?

4. Gamecat

Gamecat New Member

Yeah, it'd work for any genre or style it's just that horror is my main one.

The idea is more to get into the habit of writing to deadlines and producing work on a constant flow rather than just when you feel like it.

It doesn't always produce your best work but at least you develop good habits that can then be taken forward if you're considering writing for something more than just personal pleasure.

5. ValianceInEnd

ValianceInEnd Active Member

Thanks for the invite! i would totally be interested in this if my schedule doesn't eat up my time.

6. Gamecat

Gamecat New Member

When doing this before I found that two weeks to get a story written was just about right but there's always the option of opting out of that months cycle if you think you're going to be too busy elsewhere.

If there's enough interest I don't' mind putting the time into organising it but I'd like a larger group for it as part of this is about getting guaranteed, detailed feedback on your story. I'd hope to be able to guarantee up to eight detailed critiques for each story to make it worth while for the authors which would require at least nine active authors.

7. fantasy girl

fantasy girl New Member

Say you gave us a plot or something and we could create a story from that, i think it would be good, or if we could submit any genre (I cant write horror to save my life). either way I would enjoy it.

8. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Similar schemes have been proposed before for critiquing circles. At this time, the administrative burden of maintaining sealed sections makes this unworkable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.