A Song of Ice and Fire - thoughts [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Ulramar, Jun 17, 2014.

1. Poziga

Poziga Contributor Contributor

Yes, Daenerys seemed a bit defeated in her last chapter. But I don't root for her. I actually wouldn't mind if she died. I didn't mind her in the books, but good god do I hate her in the series.
    Yeah I think Stannis is too just. He would be a just King, but a cruel one IMO.
    After another Targaryen had been introduced I started rooting for him. Varys explained how he was educated and I think he might be the best option for a king.
    The only person I reeaaly don't have a clue what will happen to him, is Jon Snow. I really have no idea what to think of him. o_O

2. A.M.P.

A.M.P. People Buy My Books for the Bio Photo Contributor

He dies. Probably. Getting stabbed by all those black brothers (Hah, racist sounding words) can't be good for his health. Maybe Melisandre will resurrect him.

Also, I wonder if Jaime is okay?
    After he went after Brienne, we only hear his name is reports of his whereabouts...

I am excited for the Tyrion and Sansa chapters in Winds of Winter.
    Not so much for the 3 different Greyjoy PoVs...

Though, in the last book, One-Eye went to old Valyria to find the Dragonhorn(?) that will allow him to control Daenerys' dragons... That might prove interesting, considering she herself has no confirmed PoV in the following book....

I'm thinking of rereading all the books, it'd do me good to pick up and remember all the parts I forgot or might have skimmed over in my sleepy states.

3. Ulramar

Ulramar Contributor Contributor

Jon Snow dies? Nooooooooo

4. A.M.P.

That was in spoiler tags for a reason :p
    But yeah, there are good chances he did but there's no definitive proof yet.
    And then he might come back like Catelyn did or Clegane...

5. Ulramar

I don't really care about spoilers, to be honest. Now, I mostly read for the writing, not the story (although a good story is still very important).

I'm just trying to figure out HOW they did that. He's a major character in the first three books (first four seasons), and I thought he became Lord Commander of the Night's Watch in A Feast of Crows. It's not STUPID, but it's not exactly sane to me.

6. Poziga

Naah, he doesn't die. :D at least that's my strong belief. He gets stabbed multiple times sure, but it is never mentioned that he died. Plus, if he dies the whole hell breaks loose at the wall, everybody would kill each other there and I don't think Martin gains anything with that. Except if his intention is turning everyone to white walkers and then let Daenerys burn them...

Uf I almost ocmpletely forgot what is happening with Greyjoys... I don't care much for them, except for Theon. I actually like that guy, at least in the last book when he distances himself from Ramsay and starts realizing he is a prince. If I remember correctly. :p

Martells are interesting. I want to know more about them and their story/revenge. :)

7. Joe Nathan

Joe Nathan New Member

Who's going to sit on the iron throne? It's a great question, and G.R.R.M. doesn't have to give an answer. I'd like to see Dany come over and start conquering the seven kingdoms, even sit on the iron throne. Because being on the iron throne isn't an answer. The struggle for power continues, always. The best ending, I think, is someone on the throne, but in an unstable position. The series shows us a window of time that's summer to winter to spring. Leave us with the world as chaotic as it started.

8. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

Funny you should say that. How old are you, if you don't mind my asking?

Back in my teens I thought Song of Ice and Fire was fantastically written. I took a look at the first few pages of the first book a few months ago, and needless to say I was not so impressed with his writing anymore.

9. A.M.P.

@Poziga
    They killed Oberyn Martell... I don't want to hear anymore about them :cry:

@Ulramar
    Despite being the popular boy amongst the brothers, Jon started making a lot of unpopular decisions when it came to Stannis, Melisandre, giving the Gift to the Wildlings, lying to the Capital... list goes on, man. It was shocking but it makes sense. Brothers got scared that Jon is going mental and they'll all die because of him and now all his friends were either sent away or dead, perfect time to strike.

10. Ulramar

I'm 16. But hey, you could be right. I personally enjoy it.

And I could see how he'd start upsetting people with his decisions. Honestly he'd be safe (from the Season 4 finale last Sunday) if he let Stannis through, moving the Wildlings south and letting them building a settlement near where Mole's Town is (was). Use them to rebuild the Night's Watch so they can all fight the Others together. Let Stannis move south and crush the Boltons (avenging Robb's death) and swinging the Lannisters unsuspecting from the North (avenging his father's death).

By the way, I found a Dothraki dictionary so I'm going to start on that, but are there special grammar rules? Or is it just English with new words?

11. 123456789

No I mean the technical writing, that's all. As far as storytelling goes, I think it's pretty much indisputable that he is a champion. I won't pretend to remember everything, and I stopped after the fourth book (there's too many amazing books out there to get invested in something that may never get finished, imo), but I thought the actual story was pretty great, and am surprised to see some people complain about his decisions. I didn't find the character deaths gimmicky, either, but then again, who knows how things have progressed since book 4, or what the show is doing differently?

12. Ulramar

I'll take a look at it later, but it seemed alright. I mean there's a lot of phrases that he used differently.

Ser = Sir
    I would look upon his body = I want to see his body
    Would that I could = If only I could
    It's a mummer's farse = It's bullshit

But, if that's what you mean, it adds to the immersion. Some people might be upset that he puts Dothraki words in italics, but it's easier to see them (and they'd be skipped maybe if not in italics).

What exactly did you mean?

13. 123456789

I should clarify. I meant the writing was standard. Not bad (more than readable) but nothing memorable. The sentences are not a joy to read in and of themselves. George is all about the story.

In fact, I appreciate the phrases he uses to add flavor to his world, that's great, but I just glimpsed again through the prologue of book 1, and like I said before, I'm not impressed with the actual writing. Nothing sticks out. It's all pretty standard reactions and imagery. That's fine for the story he's trying to tell, but I guess as I get older, I find myself looking for a little more dimension and or power in in one's prose.

I don't mean to discourage you from reading it. I too have read the first four and loved them. Tastes change.

14. A.M.P.

@Ulramar
    The Dothraki, along with Valerian, language is a fully developped conlang, so it's identical to learning Klingon or Elvish in terms of difficulty. It's a legitimate language though the vocabulary only sports over a thousand words (i know there is no word for angel as Dothraki don't have a divine belief so you'd need to create a compound word for it) though the creator on the language updates the dictionary now and then.

Your best bet is to look at the user made videos on youtube to learn the language, some of them are rather excellent for showing you how to form sentence, incline and decline words, conjuction (Is that an Englisg thing? I learn language in French so my terms might be wrong), verbs and adverbs, and tenses and negative vs. positive... I have a book full of notes and rules and practice I made for myself. It's a real endeavor.

Ulramar likes this.
  15. Poziga

@A.M.P. don't you like Sand snakes? :)
    I don't remember which one, but I love personality of one of them. She has this Mediterranean temperemant. It's awesome that even after 3500 pages Martin brings in his story fresh characters. :)

16. Ulramar

I'll get to it. I've got summer break coming up so there's not much else for me to do.

Oh I mean yeah I don't see differing sentence structure, but it doesn't bother me in his books as it does in others. I have no idea why.

17. A.M.P.

Isn't that the one who got locked up in a tower after trying to steal Marsella away from Dorne and almost had her killed by the Darkstar?

Poziga likes this.
  18. obsidian_cicatrix

obsidian_cicatrix I ink, therefore I am. Contributor

The Dornish woman in question was Ashara Dayne, younger sister of Arthur Dayne, the Sword of the Morning. This all feeds into the murk that is Jon Snow's parentage. Some think Lightbringer as wielded by Azor Ahai, (the sword Melisandre made the melodrama out of on Stannis's behalf) might actually be Dayne's sword, Dawn.

Dayne was present at the Tower of Joy, along with Oswald Whent and Gerold Hightower. It was just after Jaime slew Aerys, and Eddard Howland Reed and several others were of the intention of getting back Lyanna Stark who had been 'kidnapped' by Rhaegar. Combat ensued and Stark and Reed where the only ones left alive.

With regard to Jon's parentage, this opens up two obvious possibilities and although one seems to be the most punted, I wouldn't put it past Martin to lay the seeds for both in equal measure, purely to keep his readers guessing. I know which I'd rather be true, but time will tell. (Unless, as has been pointed out, Martin pops his clogs before he's done.)

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
  19. Poziga

Yup. Quite the temperament, huh? :p

20. A.M.P.

@Ulramar
    If you do get into Dothraki and need a hand, let me know. More partners to learn with are alwaysa good thing.

Jon Snow is the son of Lyanna and Rheagar I bet. During the events that lead to the rebellion, she had Eddard take her son away and keep him safe for her as is his own.

Foreshadowing: "Different roads may lead to the same castle." Jon Snow said that to Arya. She, who went to King's Landing, and now he, in his weakened and recovering state, makes his way there to stake his claim as the last living rightful heir to the Throne (Cause everyoen else will be dead!)

Makes me wonder what will happen to Margery Tyrell (Or her brother... He's in bad shape last I checked... Good job, Martin, kill off the gay characters like every other TV/Book does...)

And what about Sam? He's friggin off training to become a Maester under orders from Snow! No way he's been "soft" killed by Martin!

Ulramar and Poziga like this.
  21. Ulramar

I'll be starting it once school ends on Friday, but I'll take you up on that.

22. 123456789

To the fans, whose your least favorite character? I couldn't stand the Stark mother.

23. Poziga

At the moment; Daenerys. But that is probably because I think Emilia Clarke portraits her very poorly...
    Otherwise Joffrey was making me furious, of course, but he is a very interesting character. Also, Jack Gleeson did helluva job acting him.
    And I agree with you @123456789 , Catelyn was a very moaning character. :p

24. Ulramar

Daenerys, surprisingly. She just seems so winy while going for the throne. It's not hers, it'd be her brother's. Now that he's dead, if the R + L = J theory is true, even Jon has more claim to the throne than Dany. And still, she'd have to claim it, thinking that EVERYBODY loves her and wants to help her.

Also, I started learning Dothraki because I was bored. Man, it's hard. I'm just writing right now, but speaking is going to kill me.

25. A.M.P.

I find Daenerys to be wefll portrayed in the show. She looks quite a bit older but her impassiveness just adds to how a child would appear when trying tobe regal and queenly. Daenerys is far from insipid, she knows that to reclaim the family throne won't be easy. She knows it'd be her against the world basically. She knows she can't trust anyone or things to be easy.

We I ll, Joffrey was a little annoying brat.. Wonder why the hell only Tyrion ever slapped the shit out of him >.>

I hate the Davos chapters... I just found them to be the least interesting but there's nothing wrong with his character. I just didn't get into it.