1. Renee J

Renee J Senior Member

Foreshadowing verses Just a Story Detail

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Renee J, Jul 26, 2014.

I know every story element should have a purpose, and readers would expect a weapon introduced to be used as some point. But, can you create a false foreshadow from a detail? For example, in my book, two sisters (children) lose their father when he's hit by a car. In turn, they are anxious about crossing the street. Now, will readers assume the girls will also get hit by a car at some point or at least a near miss? That's not part of my story. It seems like adding a character's fear in a story usually means that person is going to face it. But, in this instance, the story is not about them overcoming their fears, but the effects from their father's death.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Ever hear of a red herring?

Misdirection is fair play, as long as there's a logical reason for the distracting elements to be there as well as the genuine clues.

Renee J likes this.
  3. Chaos Inc.

Chaos Inc. Active Member

I don't think that's foreshadowing. It's a realistic fear to have and if your reader is assuming that's where you're going then I'd be aware of it and use it to your advantage. If you're going to deliberately foreshadow in the attempt to misdirect, I'm not going to be happy.

Renee J likes this.
  4. daemon

daemon Contributor Contributor

No, but it gives you the opportunity to use a collision or near-collision as a plot element that is more meaningful than it could have been.

Renee J likes this.
  5. Renee J

Renee J Senior Member

I'm overthinking this.

6. Sheriff Woody

Sheriff Woody Active Member

I'm confused...if it's not part of the story, why include it in the story?

I think a better question is: How does this fear manifest itself in the story?

7. Renee J

Renee J Senior Member

I meant it's not part of the main plot. They are minor characters and important to the story. Their reactions to their father's death affect the main character only to remind her that she's not the only one hurt. (She's their mother.)