1. Justin Rocket 2

Justin Rocket 2 Contributor Contributor

Pop, coke, soda, which

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Justin Rocket 2, Aug 29, 2015.

I want to open a scene as

But, "pop" can be confusing. In some parts of the English-speaking world, the word "pop" is never used and is replaced with "soda," "Coke" (even when referring to Pepsi or Dr. Pepper or the like), "soft drink," etc. Which word is in most common use?

2. Inks

Inks Senior Member

Ah the old "Pop, coke, soda map". Personally, I'd google it and use it to fit your setting or your character backgrounds. Though "ice cold pop" is liable to get confusing, but I always hyphenate "ice-cold" for that reason.

3. AspiringNovelist

AspiringNovelist Senior Member

4. sidtvicious

sidtvicious Contributor Contributor

Inferno, office 752. Take a right turn at the wat
    Be a people pleaser rebel and use "soda pop".

semicolon and AspiringNovelist like this.
  5. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Ice cold pop is not confusing.

You could use any of the three options.

AspiringNovelist likes this.
  6. Bookster

Bookster Banned

It's 'pop' here, but we know what 'soda' means.

7. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

Luke jumps to his feet as ice cold pop soaks his jeans.

Take out 'as' if you can. make it two sentences.

There is confusion all around - this may be a cruel or incontinent father. This may be a lad's first introduction to the music of the Joy Division. Personally I would discard 'ice-cold.' Who gives a fig for 'ice-cold?' Say it is a can of lemonade, and write it nice and slowly so that everybody can see it all happening in the mind's eye.

Sifunkle and Woof like this.
  8. No-Name Slob

No-Name Slob Member Supporter Contributor

Soda is most universally used, so I'd go with that.

9. Mumble Bee

Mumble Bee Keep writing. Contributor

Pop - sounds like a sex thing, I tend to keep that type of stuff away from my mouth.
    Soda - sounds like something you would say before pop, that's some third base talk right there.
    Ice cold - Are we talking about a drink or murder? I feel as though I shouldn't need to make that mental clarification every time I want to take a drink.
    coke - This is the standard where I'm from, and sure it's disappointing when they bring me something to drink instead of smell, but at least i'm only being let down and not terrified.

10. Justin Rocket 2

Ice and trees are the two cardinal symbols which carry the thematic argument. So, I give a fig. If I do it right, the reader's subconscious will care as well (but only his subconscious, otherwise he'll feel like he is being beaten to death with it).

11. matwoolf

I think you must write the opening sentence with more care before addressing issues - cardinal symbol and a thematic argument.

Luke jumps to his feet as ice cold pop soaks his jeans.

'Who gives a fig' as in don't overload your clause. Why not be linear, write clean, and say one thing at a time? Otherwise cardinal symbols and thematic argument will remain a jumble of words which only you shall read, or ever understand.

12. Justin Rocket 2

When I get something poured on me, the first thought that comes to mind is, "damn, that's cold!" unless it isn't cold. Then, I might say, "damn, that's hot!" or just "damn!"

13. matwoolf

So you write that...then you write that it was a can of coke, and then you write that his jeans were soaked. I think

14. Woof

Woof Senior Member

Another vote for soda :)

15. ManOrAstroMan

ManOrAstroMan Magical Space Detective Contributor

It's soda here in Missouri. Pop is considered one of those quaint little cultural quirks of those dear little Kansas-folk. Coke is a specific brand, and coke is an illegal drug.

I personally don't see what the problem is with "ice-cold." It's a helpful little descriptor which differentiates a wet crotch from a frozen crotch. An ice-cold liquid is much more likely to elicit a shock reaction than a room-temperature liquid.

16. matwoolf

Yeah, I agree. Seems fine now. Maybe some kind of mid-day episode - over here, not there.

17. semicolon

semicolon Member

Where I'm from, it's pop. We also know it's sometimes called "soda," though. I'm sure a lot of people here don't know that in many places it's called "Coke," no matter the drink, but of course, I'm one of the lucky ones who knows because one of my best friends moved to California recently.

18. Inks

Inks Senior Member

To expand on something other than "soda". I must note that "Ice-cold" is the proper hyphenation and lacking a hyphen does not properly reflect the attribution. Regardless of whether or not you are applying it to soda. Yes, Ice-cold applies to being "cold as ice" in an emotional or physical sense, but context is everything. When I think of an "ice cold pop" I do not think soda. I think of an ice pop! Geographical constraints of language... ha.

You know those ice pops? Fruit-flavored drinks in little plastic wrappers that are frozen and melt really, really easily? How many times have you cut the top off and had the bottom part melt before you finish it? I've spilled them on myself and yes, they stain and are far more unpleasant than "soda pop" or whatever you choose to call it. Though I understand that this is also a geographical thing, because other people call them "freezies" or "icyies". Also, all three things are different items to different people it seems. Icyies are drinks and freezies have sticks here.

Though while context is everything, proper hyphenation is a pet peeve of mine.

19. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I think that people from most regions know most of the options, so if I were you I'd figure out where your POV character grew up and find out what's most used there. If it's the "all brand and flavors are called coke" option then choose the next most likely, because I think that's least well known.

Or you could just use what you use.

semicolon likes this.