A tenth of my novel is "he"!

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by King Arthur, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

This is the tool I used, Word Frequency Counter: http://word-frequency-counter.software.informer.com/2.0/

I just ran an analysis and, after strict editing for word count, my 97,000-word novel with two protagonists, one male and one female, has 3,998 instances of "he" or "she" - 4%. Like @Commandante Lemming said, the key is to make sure not every sentence BEGINS with he or she.

Sifunkle likes this.
  2. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Ya'll have way too much time on your hands (and this is coming from the man who has infinite amounts of free time mind you).

So instead of counting how many times the word F**K shows up in my own work of fiction (24 times), I am going to instead take all that wasted time and write the tale of a demented child. Here I go.

Cindy was sitting on the floor in her room, playing with her Bimbie dolls. This was not any ordinary play for a normal girl her age. One could handle the frivolity of dressing and undressing the dolls, or making them make out with their anatomically challenged Guy dolls. Instead little Cindy with her hair pulled tightly into flaxen pigtails is working on something far less innocent than that of normal girls her age. Seems little Cindy has her Bimbies in various forms of bondage (and not like adult bondage you pervs), so as they cannot 'escape' whatever Cindy had in her twisted mind to do to them. She giggled and it was not a sweet giggle one would expect but rather a devilish giggle that would make your skin crawl. With the aid of her father's cigar lighter and her mother's sewing needles, Cindy giddily laughed as she heated a needle to a bright glow in the flame of the lighter. And the evil laughter continued, as she played both voices of herself and her plastic captives. After a short exchange of pleading and mocking denial, Cindy slowly edged the orange glowing point of the needle toward the first bound Bimbie dolls eye. It passing through the material like a hot knife through butter.
    In passing her mother stopped at the closed door to make sure Cindy was doing alright. Letting a small sigh of relief, as she herd the giggling coming from the small door. And then she cringed a moment later when she heard and exaggerated squeaky voice screaming softly : Help me! Then her eye caught something that still mortifies her to this day. Missing from the small bookshelf in the small alcove leading to her daughters room from the main hall, a book was missing from it. From the shelf of books that were off limits to the child, the little girl had taken the one about the Spanish Inquisition. Backing up slowly and wincing at each tiny cry behind the door, the mother went off to find her little girl some help.
    And to this day it is said that anyone spends the night in Cindy's room can still hear the cries of those poor tormented little Bimbie dolls.

Ok that was a hell of a lot more fun, than counting how many times 'and' shows up in my WIP. :supergrin:
    And as a bonus in novel (127k) and sequel (31.3k so far) Mother shows up 2 times.

3. MichaelP

MichaelP Banned

15% of a Hemingway novel is 'and.'

4. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

I check small sections for repeating words, and I'm all too aware of bad writing where characters have one or two facial movements like a raised brow that are too easily overused. But why look for how many times in a novel you used a pronoun?

Instead, look at the writing. Judge that or get a critique of it.

5. HelloImRex

HelloImRex Senior Member

Are you sure it's just he and she? Then has he, help has he, shelf has he and so on.