1. wardell

wardell Member

do they own it

Discussion in 'Marketing' started by wardell, Apr 1, 2015.

if I get a short story published in a magazine do they own my characters and could I still use them in a book I'm writing

2. Frankovitch

Frankovitch Member

If you get it published, they should send you an easy-to-read legal document. Most likely, they won't even own your short story; they'll only have temporary publishing rights to it. You can have it published in several magazines, as long as none of them insist on "first rights".

BayView likes this.
  3. Ryan M Pelton

Ryan M Pelton New Member

Yes they do own it if they are paying for it. If you want them to give temporary rights, you need to discuss this prior to publishing.

4. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Paying for it doesn't transfer copyright ownership. They won't own the characters or the copyright in the story unless there is a written agreement that says they do. If there is, pick another market because that's not normal.

BayView and TWErvin2 like this.
  5. Mike Kobernus

Mike Kobernus Senior Member

Steerpike is correct. Simply publishing a story does not give the publisher rights TO the story. If there is no agreement to the contrary, then the rights are held by the author.