1. Nik Coffey

Nik Coffey New Member

3rd to first person in the same chapter?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Nik Coffey, Aug 4, 2007.

A man lies poisoned and helpless. His poisoner is about to finish him off. Weapon in hand his friend comes to his aid. I want the fight to happen from my poisoned chartacters point of veiw. He can only see their feet and hear the struggle. I found this hard to acomplish in the 3rd persons point of veiw, my entire story has been written that way so far.

2. Eóin

Eóin New Member

This should be in a different forum, the General Writing one if I am correct. A moderator should be able to move it, but it might be simpler if you repost in the General Writing forum (I think the General Writing is the right one).

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Yes, this belongs in the Writing Issues forms or in the General Writing forum within Community Interaction. I'll reply anyway, and hopefully a Moderator will move the thread.

Here's how I might begin to approach your issue:

The writing remains third person, but the perspective is that of the poisoned character.

4. pengwenn

pengwenn New Member

Cogito is right (and gives you a good example to draw from). By keeping it 3rd but focusing on the victum a lot is left to the imagination of the reader (and they usually take things farther than the writer does). The victum can hear their dialogue but not see all the action so that would build tension within the scene. And that's a good thing.

5. Kirby Tails

Kirby Tails New Member

Yeah, I write like that a lot, because it kind of shows enough of the character's emotions, but at the same time, it gives you freedom to move from character to character in any situation, and thus show many more of their emotions.