1. Ink Heart

Ink Heart New Member

Swords, Kings, and Queens.

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by Ink Heart, Jan 17, 2012.

Medieval period. What do you think about it? Well... to be more exact in my question, what kind of fights/battles, can you imagine in this setting?

I know some things, like using a sword... sword fights, I guess. But, problem is my description, as I don't quite know how to properly describe them fighting. Plus, I am searching for other methods, because I just think that swords, and purely swords? Sounds... repetitive, in my opinion.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you~

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Read. Then read some more. Repeat until you understand what works, what doesn't, and why.

Then you are ready to begin writing.

3. Ink Heart

Ink Heart New Member

I did. :>

But.... most I've seen were of swords... //I read most books in my school library ok? D: Haha.
    I know somethings, I guess. Thiefs, mages, you know...

Wait.. question.
    What works, what doesn't and why.

Mind if you umm... explain the 'what doesn't, and why' part?
    Sorry for my newbness..

4. jonsnana

jonsnana New Member

Agree with read and then read some more. Go online to Baen Free Library. Read all the books in the Belisarius series. This will give you an idea of a well-crafted series that took some liberties with the coventional sword ideas. Do some historical on line research. There are all sorts of re-enactors, they have pictures of old style weapons and even pictures of how they were held, worn, etc. Research, research, research. It's half the fun of writing about a specific time period. And if you don't do it there will be some history geek out there that will tear your book to shreads for you. If you do it right they will look forward to your next one.