AAACH! This is a sign of the end of the world!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by chicagoliz, Aug 15, 2013.

1. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

I just think it's funny that many of these mistakes come from native speakers (well, writers). Considering English is the lingua franca, I do have hope that misspellings don't become that common -- unless the EFL speakers start picking them up en masse, too. Of course some are difficult for English learners as well, e.g. its vs. it's, or which words to capitalize (English or english? Monday or monday? etc.), but I believe one of the reasons why many their/they're type of mistakes come from native speakers is due to the close pronunciation of the words. For a foreign speaker whose native tongue rules would pronounce the words differently anyway, the mistake may appear unfathomable, and they'd never end up doing it.

For some reason 'on accident' and 'bored of' don't come off that annoying to me in comparison to lose/loose, regardless/irregardless etc. Maybe that's 'cause my ear isn't that trained to the usage of prepositions yet 'cause there's none in my native tongue.