1. louis1

louis1 Member

Novel Thinking you're writing the greatest novel ever?

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by louis1, Jun 28, 2012.

I know I'm not writing the greatest novel ever, but I do feel like my story is really freaking awesome.
    It's the first time I write a story, I've been working on it for a year almost. I'm currently 40k words into the second rewrite, but I really think it's going to be awesome.

I hear lot's of people who say they looked back to their early works and found it laughable, I'd like to know if this happened to you, do you remember when writing it, did you feel like what you wrote was the best thing ever?

I know I'll get better with time, but as of now, I think my story could compete with real novels and/or movies (story wise).
    I know this might sound arrogant but I want to know if other people feel this way about their own work.

2. SocksFox

SocksFox Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

I know I haven't written the greatest novel ever, but one that is ultimately rereadable. That in my mind makes a good book. I've gone back and read through some of my earlier works and can see the evolution. Is some of it laughable? Yes. Some of it is still as marvelous or hokey as it was the first time 'round.

- Darkkin

3. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

Yes! I was writing this book ( currently in the re-write ) and made the mistake of writing it in the first person. I was also trying to imitate the acid prose of Nabokov. Double disaster! Now I'm trying to hack through it to get to the core idea , which I know is still good. But aspects of the book are just eye rolling , groan indusing, lol ( and not in a good way ) awful. It was a very time consuming, learning experience - don't imitate but learn from others. And a swift kick to the ego.
    I had been daydreaming about interviews , and newspaper stories all about this wonderful new author - me.
    Now, I no longer try to aim for a masterpiece , but for a coherent story.

4. AmyHolt

AmyHolt New Member

If you don't fall in love with your story it's very difficult to stay the course and finish it.

So yes, I think my story is fabulous. I didn't even do too bad a job writing it, but like a mom with a baby I also know I'm bias. The most important thing for me is not being so proud that I can't make positive changes when someone points out a flaw.

Oh and lots of my old stuff is laughable. Even some of my current stuff is laughable. Hooray for critique partners.

5. michaelj

michaelj Active Member

I think everyone thinks their story is breathtaking, how will you know if you're on the right tracks? Post an excerpt. It can be a reality check for many unfortunately. (not asking rl friends or your mom to read it but veteran writers who don't know you)

And yes ages ago I did a story I loved, I re read it and I was like ergh!

6. louis1

louis1 Member

I wish I could do that, but I write in french, and this is the only good forum I found, and there isn't a french critique section. The best I can do I get it reviewed by my mom for now sadly.

7. kingzilla

kingzilla Member

I think you think your novel is amazing until you are freed from working on it. By that, I mean you have either got it published or retired it. Once you start working on another book, look back and see how good it really is. IMO, it isn't how you view your book, it's how others do. Many will disagree, but I didn't start writing to please myself. I read books to please myself. I write to please others.

8. Show

Show Contributor Contributor

I think my novels are both simultaneously the best and worst things to ever be written! :D

9. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

The first draft of my first novel was the greatest thing ever written as I was writing it. Now it's an incoherent mess with a few great stretches, and it needs a top-down rewrite. I'm not prepared to do that right now. I have to get a few short stories done first. And a couple of less-ambitious novellas that may grow to novel length.

10. Complex

Complex New Member

Mine is weird... I hardly doubt you can even call it a novel simply because it doesn't flow or stick to a traditional form. I've always been experimental in my work, but seriously if anyone could manage to read through it, or even a section I'd be glad to see how it holds up. It may not be the greatest thing ever, but I'm happy working on it, even if it is 99% worldbuilding 1% story at the current moment. I must have a complete picture before I write, so even if I cannot do it justice on paper I can at least be scholarly mentally.

11. Cassiopeia Phoenix

Cassiopeia Phoenix New Member

Uh... I believe the plot and the characters are good, but the way I write is certainly not the best thing ever...

12. MeganHeld

MeganHeld New Member

I write for myself and am lucky to have a good support group/fan base with my family and friends. I have novels I love and I have ones I hate. I will never write a great novel, or get published. But, to me, that doesn't matter. I am like Cassiopeia Phoenix. To me if we focus on trying to be the greatest we loose touch with the plot and why we are writing. Don't let people bash you down. It is your book and it will be your choice if you share it with others.

13. louis1

louis1 Member

I don't know how you do it. If I don't get published I might never write a word again. I'm not doing this for fun. It has to be sold. If it's not, I don't know, all stick to something else then writing I guess.

14. Cassiopeia Phoenix

Cassiopeia Phoenix New Member

I have ambitions on my writing, sure, and getting published would be nice, but... It's not the most important thing. I just like to daydream and do something about it. I'm too shy and not assertive enough to put my drafts out there for publishers.

At least I think I won't be.

15. ithestargazer

ithestargazer Active Member

Oh, I laughed when I read this post. Yes, I also think my novel is incredible but at the same time just not good enough for consumption. I think one of the curses of writing is comparing one work with another. I'm slowly learning not to do that which is monumental for me.

16. Rebel Yellow

Rebel Yellow Active Member

I could help you with critique as French is my native language.

17. kingzilla

kingzilla Member

+1 on that lol.

18. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Alive in the Superunknown

I'm five chapters into a rewrite of the only novel I've completed so far. There are times when I think that it's great, and other times I cringe. Objectivity is difficult to achieve because the subject matter is pretty personal; I gave in to first-book-as-autobiography and as a result value even more the input I've received from others on it.

19. Andrae Smith

Andrae Smith Bestselling Author|Editor|Writing Coach Contributor

I find I am the same way...For me it isn't about getting published or selling books or stories. Its about telling the stories in my heart and sharing them with people who sound interested, I have friends who love my work lol and I share with them iven if its an uncopyrighted piece through email...

I actually write not to please anybody at first, but just to tell the story. I please myself in the rewrite, then others in the final cut. But while I'm writing I do get the feeling, sometimes that its awesome. But I check that feeling so I can rewrite unbiasly and make it better. I'm never satisfied with less than 3 passes over any piece :D

I am absolutely embarrassed by some of my earlier writing XD it was fun and creative but my goodness does it need some serious work XD I actually have a story that I wrote as a kid, then rewrote when I was older and more mature of a writer... the change is outrageous LOL

20. Andrae Smith

Andrae Smith Bestselling Author|Editor|Writing Coach Contributor

I find I am the same way...For me it isn't about getting published or selling books or stories. Its about telling the stories in my heart and sharing them with people who sound interested, I have friends who love my work lol and I share with them iven if its an uncopyrighted piece through email...

I actually write not to please anybody at first, but just to tell the story. I please myself in the rewrite, then others in the final cut. But while I'm writing I do get the feeling, sometimes that its awesome. But I check that feeling so I can rewrite unbiasly and make it better. I'm never satisfied with less than 3 passes over any piece :D

I am absolutely embarrassed by some of my earlier writing XD it was fun and creative but my goodness does it need some serious work XD I actually have a story that I wrote as a kid, then rewrote when I was older and more mature of a writer... the change is outrageous LOL

21. killbill

killbill Member

Even if I think my novel is the best ever I'll NEVER be able to say/declare that mine is the best or even comparable to great published works. I am firmly grounded in that sense. And also no writer, no matter how many books they have under their belts, could accurately say how great their works are until they published it and get the readers' feedback. BTW my mom will be the last person on earth I'll ask for feedback even if she were capable of giving feedback.

22. lallylello

lallylello New Member

I think it's great that you love your story so much - it's your baby after all, and we all love our babies - even the ugly ones!
    Better than loving your own story, though, is getting it critiqued and finding out that others love it too. So why not post an excerpt as has been suggested - in French - and see what happens. This is an international forum after all.
    I'd love to read it. I'm not French but lived in France for a while and I do read French literature - as long as the words aren't too obscure!

1 person likes this.
  23. louis1

louis1 Member

Even the ugly ones ahaha, thanks. I'll soon post something up for critique, I'll message you when I do.

24. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i'm a better writer than most, but thinking that anything i've written could be 'the best ever written' would make no sense to me whatsoever... first of all, in whose opinion?... is there even any concensus on what poem or play or novel is 'the best ever'?... there isn't, of course... so my answer to your question is a very definite 'no'...

but i certainly have had the conviction that much of my work is quite good, even looking back at it years later... as good as and sometimes better than much of what i see published by well-known others...

25. Chronicle535

Chronicle535 New Member

I know for a fact that my first novel isn't going to be the best novel ever, for now I just hope that it is interesting enough that people are actually going to want to read it. Is it a good story? I believe so, but is it going to be a best seller? I doubt it

Chronicle535