1. remiojones

remiojones New Member

Finding an editor

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by remiojones, Oct 10, 2012.

I'm probably getting a little ahead of myself here because I'm only 1/5 the way through with writing my book. How does one go about finding an editor? Is there a Craigslist of editors on the internet? How much does this service cost? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Editors can be extremely expensive. Most likely, your book won't make enough money to justify hiring one. Besides, as a writer, you should learn to edit your own work.

3. remiojones

remiojones New Member

Thanks for the reply. i have every intention of finding beta readers, taking their advice and editing myself but I would like to have that final executive polish.

I was inspired to finally write by reading the self-published Kindle writers Hugh Howey and Colleen Hoover. I know from reading interviews with them that they had professional editors. I suppose i could pop off an email to them when i finish my book because they are extremely accessible but I would prefer not to bother the writers.

4. thirdwind

I'm willing to bet those self-published writers you mentioned already have a large audience and are making enough money to justify hiring an editor (though I still believe a writer should be able to edit his/her own work). Such success stories are exceptions to the rule. You should look at the financial aspect of it before making a decision. Look at the average rate an editor charges, and look at the average earnings from a self-published book (I get the impression you want to self-publish, correct?).

There's also the issue of reliability. Sure, an editor may charge a low fee, but is he/she any good?

5. thirdwind

If possible, check to see what previous work they've edited. Ask for references. Other than that, I'm really not sure.

You were right in your first post when you said you were getting ahead of yourself. Finish the book first, and worry about this whole editor business later.

6. remiojones

remiojones New Member

I know. I have to stop reading this site, it's addicting. I've been averaging about 1500 words a day for the past three weeks. I would like to bump that up to to 2000. Back to the grindstone. Wish me luck on not checking back in until I've completed my daily writing.

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

1. Stand up.
    2. Walk to the washroom.
    3. Look in the mirror.

Always do your own editing, unless you are already a successful writer with contracts in place for future novels, and approaching deadlines. Even then, you need to shop very carefully for an editor who is reliable, understands your writing style/voice, and honors it.

8. remiojones

remiojones New Member

I think I may have misrepresented myself. I do edit. I start my writing day by reading the previous day's work out loud which I find helps correct flow and tone problems. Followed by writing 1500 to 2000 words, then a simple proofread for grammar. Once a week I read the story from beginning to end again for flow and to pick out any pesky bits I may have overlooked. I am approaching my writing project with as much discipline as possible. I have a strong outline. I can see how easy it would be to get lost in the story.

My wanting an outside editor when I am done writing is due to what I assume will be a loss of objectivity. I have read that it's a good idea to put aside your book when finished with the first draft for a month or so in order to be able to see it with fresh eyes. I'm sure that will help. Still I would like a pair of impartial eyes, the editor, to go over and offer corrective suggestions with some depth. I don't have to take their direction but it would be helpful.

Thanks for the reply. I am loving your website.

9. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i edit books for clients, but only if they understand and accept what i tell them, which is that the thousands of dollars it can cost [anyone doing a entire book for less won't be capable of doing a good enough job] will most likely never be recouped from the book and that having the ms edited to perfection will still not guarantee it will snag an agent, or a paying publisher...

as cog advises above, it's best to do your own editing... but if you insist on hiring an editor, be sure to choose wisely and ask for a free sample edit first, so you can check the quality of their work... and ask for contact info of previous clients...

10. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

All that being understood, under what circumstances would you recommend to a novice seeking to be published for the first time that (s)he seek out a professional editor?

11. robertpri007

robertpri007 New Member

One: finish the book.
    Two: read and edit cover to cover at least twenty times.

1 person likes this.
  12. mammamaia

only if the novice can justify the cost by considering it a learning experience that can lead to improving the quality of his/her writing...

and that will only be possible if the chosen editor can and will explain clearly, the reasons for corrections/changes the author doesn't understand...

the cost of simply editing a piece of work will next to never be recouped, so i can't recommend that new writers needing help with their writing pay an editor to fix up a ms to keep it from being tossed on first site, by agents or magazine editors...

13. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Rather than an editor, you might seek a writing tutor. A tutor only is effective if he or she can explain not only what you should consider changing, but also why.

Just because someone can edit writing, that doesn't mean he or she can communicate the reasoning behind the change. Very often, it's only that editor's personal preference.

14. mammamaia

an excellent point, cog!... and very true...