1. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors. Founder Staff Contributor

About Collaborative Projects

Discussion in 'Collaboration' started by Daniel, May 22, 2014.

For a long time there have been requests for a place to offer free services, exchange critiques, find beta readers, and related non-paid collaborations. This collaborative projects forum finally fills that need.

The Collaborative Projects forum is a place for established forum members to network and seek out partners for various writing-related projects. Specifically, when creating a thread you can designate a prefix for either beta reading, free design services, free editing services, Writing Workshop review exchanges, or other collaborative projects.

The purpose of the collaborative projects forum is to enable Active Members (90 days, 100 posts) to better apply and progress their writing through networking and exchanges.

This forum is not a place to advertise your product, service, or website, link to off-site projects or services, or offer paid services. Any services - such as book cover design or editing - must be freely offered or exchanged for other services (ex: a critique for a critique). Advertising paid services may result in a warning or ban.

Any questions, comments, or suggestions for improving this forum should be directed as responses to this thread. This is a new section of the site, so suggestions on how to improve it are welcome. I expect this section and it's rules to evolve over the first few weeks.

The Collaboration FAQ has been added, and should be used as the point of reference for Collaboration Forum Rules and standards.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2016
  2. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I would mention that two (or more) writers collaborating on the actual writing of a novel, story, etc. can lead to disastrous results and that anyone wishing to do this should have a contract in place. Better to be realistic about it than to not mention it at all IMO.

This second point doesn't really pertain to the rules but is more of a "use your judgment" type of thing. Be careful who you collaborate with. Someone could easily register on this site, become an established member, offer to critique your piece, and pass it off as his own after you've sent it to him.

Other than that, I think this is a cool idea.

Daniel likes this.
  3. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors. Founder Staff Contributor

@thirdwind great points, thank you for mentioning them. I'll be sure to mention them when I develop a FAQ for these new sections.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i always tell anyone even thinking about writing with a partner that not a single word should be written before a collaboration contract is signed and sealed... no matter how much one may trust the co-writer/s, issues can and do arise later on, that can lead to legal wrangles and/or one writer losing all rights to his/her own work... i have seen this happen, so it's not just a guess on my part...

i use the WGA standard 'collaboration agreement' that i've adapted to work for books... i'm happy to share it with anyone who requests a copy...

or, if you think it's appropriate, daniel, i'll be glad to provide a copy to be stickied here... but with the caveat that i am not an attorney and one should always consult one before signing any contract... in this case, one who specializes in literary law...

EdFromNY likes this.
  5. GlPortal

GlPortal New Member

I am working on a free and open computer game and I am looking for writers that like to see their ideas in a game. I thought about advertising before, but there was no suitable category to place the ad. You don't mean this kind of collaboration with this forum, am I right?

6. Ulramar

Ulramar Contributing Member Contributor

My own fantasy world, living the good life
    What kind of game?

I'm kinda interested but I want to know more

7. ChaosReigns

ChaosReigns Be Still and Know Contributor

can i just elaborate on something @mammamaia said, make sure you definately get a contract from them as well, or at least some document outlining what both parties are expected to do. because ive been approached a couple of times (not on this site BTW) to help collaborate and have had no contract whatsoever (even when requested one) , and when ive done only a basic plan, (which takes me hardly any time at all, and one requested it before the contract) i hear nothing from them, so push for the contract before you do ANY work for them.

and i saw somewhere that each time someone gave out a copy of their MS for beta reading, they changed it slightly each time they handed it out so that if it got published, they could track whose copy it was....

Jaro likes this.
  8. theoriginalmonsterman

theoriginalmonsterman Pickle Contest Administrator Contributor

So could anyone answer this question for me? We're looking for someone to help us critique a screenplay. By "we" I mean a Youtube organization I own and work on with a couple of people I've met on the internet/real life. I noticed it says that you can offer "off site" projects, but the thing is the screenplay is quite long and is located on a google document. Also we do a lot of talking on Skype. They wouldn't be getting paid however. If they agree to help critique our stuff we'd help them out with their writing as well. The only reason this is "off site" is to make it easier to communicate and critique each other's writing.