About criticism

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by Youssef Salameh, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Robert_S

Robert_S Senior Member

I can sometime be a bastard when reviewing. If a character comes across as your standard mucho bravado hero, I don't know what to say except he doesn't feel like he's alive. Just an animatron. Show me something human. Even a jet jock has some human element. It may not show in the cockpit, but it shows somewhere. He may be a douche toward others or he may give time at the Special Olympics because his brother is special needs. Something that brings him down to Earth.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

that's not really true... it depends on how s/he 'work/s as a critic'... whether it's for a company that pays the critic, or done on their own for free, such as the many who do so on amazon... and also depends on who determines whether a critic is 'qualified' or not...

and, btw, i'm a 'she' not a 'sir'... ;)

3. Robert_S

Robert_S Senior Member

Well, the proper female counterpart to "sir" is "ma'am" but many women don't like that reference because it feels old, so I've gotten into saying "miss" regardless of age or marital status.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

yes, i know what the 'proper' counterpart is, thank you, james... and also know that 'she' is the proper counterpart to 'he'... i was merely exercising my right to literary license there... :cool:

i don't mind 'ma'am' but do take exception to 'madam' since i don't run a brothel... :rolleyes:

and 'miss' seems pretty far off the mark for a 75 year old mother of 7, grandmom of 19 [at last count], even though i've been currently/blessedly single/divorced/widowed for decades... ;)

love and hugs, m

5. Youssef Salameh

Youssef Salameh Senior Member

I agree, but I've mentioned before, that everybody has the freedom to express his thoughts; its god's gift. But some critics, don't perform their job. Am not talking about this, but about how experienced people; i.e some teachers, may control such acts, to interact and say the truth, and stop, by their authority, the false critics, who may affect the performance of a talented writer. Am not here to detain anyone. We are human beings, and have humanity within us.
    And am SORRY for saying sir. I have took the matter, in general, but didn't mean it; furthermore I don't refer in my messages to anybody in particular weather critics or writer. Our respects to this great forum and its great members. Our pure love to all.
    Thanks for all our brothers and sisters who shared with me this great matter. Again, all my respects and love, in peace, to you.
    You are all welcome.