1. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors. Founder Staff Contributor

About Progress Journals (new privacy features!)

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by Daniel, May 22, 2014.

About the Goal Tracking & Accountability Forum

The goal tracking & accountability forum is where forum members can create a writing journal, publishing journal, or project journal. The writing journal can include your goal and other information, such as title, word-count, publishers applied to, etc.

The purpose of this forum and the goal tracking journals are firstly to motivate you and help you keep track of your progress and, secondly, to keep you accountable by publicly setting goals and updating your progress. It's been proven that when you publicly set a goal for your self you are more likely to achieve it; you'll be more personally committed and feel held accountable.

Rules & FAQ coming soon.

jammies and Writer_53 like this.
  2. Daniel

Would you guys prefer only the thread starter to be able to post in their own thread as updates, or allow other people to post but have the thread starter marked as the thread starter?

Do you like the title "Goal Tracking & Accountability" or do you prefer the forum name "Progress Journals"?

3. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

I'm not the kind of person that needs this kind of motivation (I'm not knocking the idea it works for lots of people) so not sure if my opinion is valid, but I would think people would want threads open for feedback, motivational comments, and what not.

hilal, Thornesque, EdFromNY and 2 others like this.
  4. Okon

Okon Contributing Member Contributor

'Progress Journals' sounds a lot better, in my opinion.

So that's one vote...

5. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Why can't people keep track of their progress using blogs?

6. Daniel

@thirdwind, I suppose they can and I some people do. Personally I prefer this method, but if public opinion continues to not really support this new forum there's nothing to say we can't do away with it. The advantage of this section is primarily that it's dedicated and more visible than the blogs.

7. obsidian_cicatrix

obsidian_cicatrix I ink, therefore I am. Contributor

Which is the very reason I would rather post the odd progress report in my blog. I wouldn't want it that visible. I nail my colours to the mast and declare what I'm up to, but at the same time know it'll most likely not get that much traffic. That's suits me fine, though I'm sure others will avail of the new set-up and appreciate the more public nature of it.

8. Andrae Smith

Andrae Smith Gone exploring... in the inner realm... Contributor

I like this. I may not be one to use it much simply because I'm more private about things. I've been held accountable for a lot of things, so I often prefer not to give people expectations simply because I get tired of feeling under pressure. Regardless, this seems like the perfect place for people who want to challenge themselves to open up a little and those who like to talk about their progress. This may reduce progress posts in The Happiness Thread (not like it's a problem). We should wait it out and see if people are drawn to this forum. If not, then they can always continue in their blogs and this can be closed or maybe minimized and moved.

As for posting comments, it might be nice to leave that parameter open for the thread starter to decide. When they create the thread, there could be a check box or something that says, "Allow Comments. " I also think that "Progress Journals" is a friendlier, more inviting title. "Goal Tracking" is a bit less clear, and "Accountability" seems to apply a little pressure imo.

Marco Thornwell likes this.
  9. Larissa Redeker

Larissa Redeker Active Member

I like the idea behind this forum :)

I need something like that, because I'm always trying to throw my work away. Yes, I have a little problem with myself, I have depression and need something to push me in the way. People asking when my book will be ready will be a great help :friend: So, if I use it, I want to allow people to post comments.

And I think it can be useful too when you go in the self-publishing path, because you can tell other what you have encountered during the process.

And I prefer the name "Progress Journals" too :) It's more friendly.

10. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

I wholeheartedly agree with this. I would add one comment, though: I wouldn't include "Accountability" in the title. As writers, we are accountable solely to ourselves.

If I decided to abandon a project, I might very well post here to share that decision with other members (Michener once wrote an entire book on the subject - My Lost Mexico - but he did so only after the work he had abandoned in 1961 had been revived, finished and published 30 years later) but I would never feel "accountable" to them for my decision, even if I had posted repeatedly about my progress to that point.

"Goal Tracking" or "Progress Journals" would work just fine.

DaveOlden likes this.
  11. Robert_S

Robert_S Contributing Member

Well, my goal is a chapter a week, but I'm stuck at a point and have been procrastinating because of it.

12. jazzabel

jazzabel Contributing Member Contributor

"Progress Journals" sound more pleasing to the writer's ear, but "Goal Tracking & Accountability" is more serious and formal, and on one level, that might appeal to people who need more structure.

I think it's a great idea, but since I have real obstacles preventing me from working on schedule sometimes, I probably would't want to additionally stress myself with something like this now. But in the future, I can see how it could help keep me on track.

13. Daniel

@Andrae Smith I agree that having the option is probably best. Or if possible have all the thread starter's posts float to the beginning of the thread.

So which is better, renamed to "Goal Tracking" or "Progress Journals"?

14. Larissa Redeker

Larissa Redeker Active Member

Progress Journal, in my opinion.

15. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Staff Supporter Contributor

Here's another vote for "Progress Journals." Goal Tracking and Accountability sounds a little harsh, like it's the title of a bill you receive from the IRS. :p

"Progress Journals" is friendlier, shorter, and easier to understand. The word "Progress" also has a positive connotation for me.

16. EdFromNY

Hey! Can we please lay off the IRS?! We're human, too, ya know!

17. Daniel

Additional Privacy Features to Progress Journals

You can now:
    • Lock your journal so only you can reply
    • Make your journal viewable only to members
    • Make your journal completely private - viewable only to yourself and forum staff
    When creating a thread you should see these options:

Screen Shot 2014-07-03 at 6.52.13 PM.png

"Open" is whether or not people can reply. "Members Only" hides your journal from guests. "Private" hides it from all members, staff excluded.

To change this after you create your thread, you should see thread tools options:

Screen Shot 2014-07-03 at 6.54.52 PM.png

If you click edit thread you can see all options:

Screen Shot 2014-07-03 at 6.55.08 PM.png

Oh ya, and we renamed the forum to Progress Journals some time ago. :p

Charisma and Larissa Redeker like this.
  18. EdFromNY

Thanks for the update, Daniel.

19. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Staff Supporter Contributor

Is it possible to change these settings after creating a thread? Let's say I create a private journal at first, to try it out a bit, and then want to make it open for members. Would I be able to change that setting then?

20. Reilley Turner

Reilley Turner Active Member

Would I be able to use a Progress Journal as a way to track my progress in a writing manner, but not exactly writing? What I mean is, I have a writing book, and want to go through it while getting all the good points, but would here be the best place for it or should I use a blog instead?

21. Masterspeler

Masterspeler Active Member

So here's my question. Do we use one thread for all our projects or a thread for each. I have the bad habit of having a million projects I'm working on, including inventorying and boxing car parts that still cover my carpet and couch...I am working on a novel, it's sequel now and another novel...it can get confusing at times lol

AB

PS, I think it's been settled but I like the progress journals.

22. Writer_53

Writer_53 New Member

I personally prefer Goal Tracking & Accountability