1. Nikki

100.0%
  2. Diana

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

Duchess-Yukine-Suoh Girl #21 Contributor

Who should the MC be?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Duchess-Yukine-Suoh, Apr 17, 2014.

I'm taking a break from one of my books, and started to work on this other one. However, I got so torn between these two characters that I can't decide which one should be the MC.

The plot remains pretty much the same regardless of the character. The base line of plot: Younger sister of guy in boy garage band becomes member of the band and hilarity and a rom-com ensues.

So, tell me the girl you think would give my story the best plotline and why!
    Nikki
    Nikki is the younger sister of the lead guitarist and founder of the band, and the two of them have a typical "squabbling-siblings" relationship. She's a bit shy and doesn't really like big crowds or things like that. Hobby-wise (outside of the band), Nikki does art and hangs out with her friends, usually her best friend, Diana. She is a bit of a tomboy and doesn't really care about fashion. Nikki has a bit of a sarcastic streak, and often comments on the crazy antics of the band, but deep down, she really does care about them.
    Pros: I think she's a character a lot of girls could relate to.
    Cons: I don't feel a strong attachment to her and so I don't think I could write her well.

Diana
    Diana is the younger sister of the bassist, but, in contrast to Nikki, she's very close to her brother. She's Nikki's best friend, but they're opposites: Diana is outgoing, flirty, and loves fashion; but she usually refurbishes cheap clothes instead of buying high-end. She works as a part-time waitress and is a member of the basketball team. She does agree with Nikki that the guys are usually crazy, and usually just sits back and watches the chaos unfold, but she does try to help them when she can.
    Pros: I feel that I could write her well and I am attached to her.
    Cons: I fear she won't capture my audience.

Thoughts?

2. MLM

MLM Banned for trolling

Give them equal protagonist status. Now the story can be about their friendship too.

3. Lea`Brooks

Lea`Brooks Contributor Contributor

In my opinion, the best MC is the one that has the most change throughout the story. You said the plotline remains the same no matter who you choose.. That sounds like it's shaping up to be a very static story.

There must be conflict and obstacles to overcome. Unless Nikki and Diana are the same person, both of them should handle said conflict differently. Does Nikki get over emotional easily then learns to control it? Does Diana have anger issues and a sharp tongue?

There must be change to be interesting. Figure out who is changing the most and make us care about them. It doesn't matter whether you have a connection to them or not. It's all about how you write it.

4. MLM

MLM Banned for trolling

That's not necessarily true. Lot's of protagonists aren't greatly changed by the events in their story but remain the logical protagonist. It's contextual.

5. MLM

MLM Banned for trolling

This discussion highlights the problem with delegating important decisions about your stories to people who aren't writing your stories.

6. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer Contest Winner 2023

Who's got the most to gain or lose in this situation? Who's in the best position to see it all happen?

Your main character isn't necessarily your viewpoint character. So you could write Diana as the 1st person POV character, telling the story of her friend Nikki, the main character. Or vice versa.

GingerCoffee and jannert like this.
  7. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

My immediate reaction to reading your question is - Diana as POV character. Why? Well, because she's the one you relate to and feel close to.

From other things you've posted on this forum, I suspect you're an experienced writer so you probably know this. But as @Catrin Lewis said, MC and POV aren't the same thing. The main character is the person whose predicament drives the plot. The POV character is the one who tells the story to the reader. (They can both be the same, of course, and the 'telling' can be done via third person as well as first.)

If your plot centers around The Life of Nikki, it will read much differently through Nikki's POV than it will through her friend Diana's eyes.

As to who will capture your audience ...involvement is the key. If you involve your readership in the thought processes inside your POV character's head, you'll automatically have their attention. Sometimes a 'wallflower' makes the best narrator, because they watch other people.

If you're really in doubt, though, pick a scene ...any scene you've got formed in your head ...and write it from each girl's perspective. See which one works best. This is actually not a hard thing to do, and it gains big results.

During the edit of my novel I swapped POVs in one scene. The scene was okay as previously written, and I kept all my original dialogue. However, by presenting it from the other person's point of view, it made a lot more sense.

I had used the 'bewildered' person's POV the first time around—the person who wasn't sure what was going on—but switched to the 'knowing' person's POV in the re-write. Amazing how much difference that little change made. In one fell swoop I cut out melodrama (Oh My God, What Is He Doing?), eliminated confusion AND I was able to create a better transition to the next scene as well. POV is incredibly important.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
    Catrin Lewis likes this.
  8. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

You say you can't write Nikki as well, but you have. Of the two descriptions, you've described Nikki in more detail and more effectively than Diana. I'm not sure you can't write her as well.

jannert likes this.
  9. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

If Ginger is right, then Nikki will be your main character, and Diana (standing in for you yourself, as storyteller) will be the POV character.

10. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

amen to that!

writing by committee is never a good idea... only you can make such a major decision, as only you will be writing this book...

11. Revilo87

Revilo87 Member

How about you go with either one but make it to where only one of them has a brother in the band, for example let's say Niki's older brother has a band and that they often let her join in their jam sessions sometime but are never serious about letting her join, which Niki is mostly fine with even though she secretly wishes they'd ask her to be part of it. One day Niki brings her friend Diana over to join in on the fun and the band decides she's really good (singing/instruments/or whatever) and eventually ask her to join. This leads to a rift between Niki and Diana due to jealousy, it also leaves Niki feeling betrayed by her older brother and his friends who are basically like brothers to Niki as well.

Another scenario is to only have one girl who has an older brother in a band, and whether he's the lead singer or the lead guitarist we get to a day where his sister joins in on the rehearsal, or the other band-mates hear her singing/playing and decide they'd rather have her in the band than her brother which of course leads to a rift between the siblings

12. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

Duchess-Yukine-Suoh Girl #21 Contributor

Oh, I already have the base plotline down. I'm just wondering who the MC should be.