1. Iwanabeone

Iwanabeone Banned

Point of view shift question

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Iwanabeone, Jan 2, 2013.

I am completing work on a 90,000 word action/adventure story. The vast majority of the story is told through the point of view of one of the main characters. There are some points in the story where this character is not present and, obviously, the POV is of a different character. These are all clearly identified as separate scenes There is one instance where I want very much to have another MC express her feeling for the primary character. This takes place in a segregated scene in the story. Is there anything wrong in doing this?

2. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Nope.

3. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

I've read many books that does this exact thing, ranging from R.R. Martin to Jeff Shaara. Hell, even JK Rowling got in on this in some of her books. Nothing wrong with it. :D

4. navpoint

navpoint New Member

I would just make sure these extra scenes/characters have something to achieve or their own goals separate from the protagonist, which would make it compelling to see the plot unfold from their point of view. Otherwise if it's just to push the story along, I feel it would be better serve the story to let the reader learn these things with the protagonist and make sure you are expressing the characters he/she interacts with through subtle dialogue, description and body language that may indicate a shift of motive or a plot twist.