1. Keitsumah

Keitsumah The Dream-Walker Contributor

[Active] (Last of the Imirri) Progress Journal

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by Keitsumah, Oct 23, 2014.

First of all, I would like to give a nod in @A.M.P.'s direction. When I saw him doing a progress journal I realized it might help push me and keep me writing even as college keeps me busy, and give me the boost I need to actually complete the darn story... Also his design choices were worthy of stealing. :whistle: So, without further ado, here is my adapted version of the template he created.

The Starshade's Legacy:
    Last of the Imirri

― ❅ ―

Genre | High Fantasy...........................................
    Length | Aiming to not go over the 200k mark...
    Series | The Starshade's Legacy Book I...............

― ❅ ―

Word Counter
    ╔.......................╗
    5,975 Words

― ❅ ―

Synopsis

The land of the living has been at war for longer than most can remember. Tied into a never-ending struggle in which no side seems to gain any ground, humanity has given up its magic in their desire to create a weapon that would destroy their adversaries. Only to watch it bring about their own.

It has been two hundred years since these events, and those in between have left the land frozen and near inhospitable. The human race numbers in the thousands, but only a few hundred have escaped the iron claw of the Shifters. Yet those are under constant risk of being found and captured. It is in this world that a girl discovers that the past is not so far away as the legends make them seem, nor are the heroes and villains.

― ❅ ―

This book is split into two points of view, each character bringing their own strengths and weaknesses, as well as conflicts, and eventually alliances, for the other.

Keit - A quirky, hard-to-rattle village girl who struggles to keep past demons at bay.
    Batos - A prince who seeks challenge and excitement in a world where all fear him.

― ❅ ―

I will be posting a snippet from the beginning of each chapter as I write to give you a little bit of information as to what is going on. Feel free to discuss anything relating to my novel here, but please be aware that this is a brand new draft, and exceedingly different than any of the previous works I have posted in the review thread. Only the most basic information and research on my story (such as the races, landscape, and realms) has stayed the same.

Overall, this journal is meant to give me something to be held accountable for, and to give me the push I need to keep writing. Any encouragement is welcome, as I've been working on this darn thing for over four years now and... yeah. No progress. It's a developed story, but as a manuscript it's made no progress.

― ❅ ―

Goals

Overall, I hope to finish at least one chapter every week, or every two weeks if time constraints become a problem at school.

I keep track of my chapters in groups of ten, broken into single folders that each hold three folders with Rough/Working Drafts, Comments, and Final Drafts. I will add on more chapters as I go. Projected work of the original draft has thus far added up to around sixty chapters, but with the plot changes it could end up drastically shorter.

Prologue - In Progress

Chapter One - COMPLETE!
    Chapter Two - COMPLETE!
    Chapter Three - COMPLETE!
    Chapter Four - ................
    Chapter Five - ..................
    Chapter Six -......................
    Chapter Seven -.................

― ❅ ―

Daily News

January 7, 2015

Another year... *sigh* Welp I had to deal with life, forgetfulness, and then my mac spazzing out when the date was wrong and Scrivener wouldn't let me work on my book recently. Decided to write a prologue though after examining Eragon again and musing why it became so popular. I think it had a combination to do with Dagon Riders and a prologue that introduced a villain. So I'll do something similar.​

December 8, 2014

Cripes I haven't added anything in a while. Well Chapter two was finished about three days back. Wasn't quite sure whether I'd continue it or end it where it was, so I ended up fiddling with Chapter four to see if that was how I liked it.

Guess i liked it. :p

November 20, 2014

Got a load of inspiration last night and now I ended up making one of the smaller antagonists a somewhat lovable person. Now Keit's going to have to deal with a bit more pain when the inciting event occurs. Which is getting so close i can taste it now.

Current challenge: making a romance scene not so cheesy as all the yucky stuff on the market at the moment.

November 13, 2014

Chapter two done. It changed a bit at the ending and now on to chapter three... lets hope i can pull this one off.

November 7, 2014

On a random note one of my classmates in college has had to deal with the nightmare that is bedbugs. We celebrated that they were all gone today, but then he found one on the tip of his pencil! Funny in a way, but we did panic. He burned it with a lighter and squished it beneath his boot thank goodness.

Hopefully that was the last of em... *knock on wood*

As for my book, i've gotten more done last night. I think I'm getting back into my writing groove. *knock on wood again*

November 6, 2014

Drama seems to have stopped for the time being. Now I actually get the pain that all the girls stuck in love triangles in books go through. I no longer mock them....

As for my book, I've gotten another two pages done in the second chapter. Scene one is finished, now for scene two.

November 3, 2014

Lots of drama going on in my life right now. Haven't been able to sit down and write or find the inspiration to do it. I think for the time being I need to step away from my work so i can clear the mess in my relationships, focus on college for a bit and then ill get back to it...

October 30, 2014

Wasn't able to get writing the last couple of days, but now i finally broke the first page mark. I think I'm ggettingBatos's new personality down now... I just hope other see it as interesting.

October 28, 2014

Tried to work on chapter two again and couldn't get past the first page. Balancing a conversation right off the bat as well as trying to implement a new setting, character appearances, and names is hard!

October 27, 2014

I'm alive! I'm alive! Didn't get too much done but I did get a good setup for the first page of chapter two down, as well as tried to figure out how to make Batos be an interesting villain that is also likeable... so hopefully this works. Also, boyfreinds are the ultimate distraction wrapped up in one big hunk of muscle that you absolutely need to have around in case of a zombie apocolypse...
    or a haunted house (like the one we visited on saturday.:p)

October 24, 2014

Decided to go with a shorter first chapter and get some perspective on Batos in chapter two, and have the inciting incident happen there. CHAPTER ONE COMPLETE!

October 23, 2014

I have created this progress journal and begun my journey to finally finish this story. It's... intimidating to think about. Exciting too. But intimidating nonetheless.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
    A.M.P. likes this.
  2. A.M.P.

A.M.P. People Buy My Books for the Bio Photo Supporter Contributor

:eek:
    Stealing is the sincerest form of flattery :3

I wish you the best of luck and keep going, I know you can do it!

Keitsumah likes this.
  3. Keitsumah

Annnnd I've hit a bump already... I want the inciting incident to be in chapter one but I realized that if i end the chapter at the second scene then not only do I have some good foreshadowing to mess with the reader, I get to play with Batos right before the inciting incident and it would fit the puzzle together much more nicely.

Hmm...

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  4. Keitsumah

Chapter One done! Now for chapter Two...

5. Keitsumah

Just saying I'm alive. And love triangles hurt.

Boys: when a girl's taken, even if you know she likes you too, don't go after her. It ends up hurting all three parties.

6. 123456789

123456789 Contributing Member Contributor

Book 1 is 1,828 words? I thought you had said you had like 1,828,000 words?

7. Keitsumah

lol, i dont have a million XD (though if you do the math i may if you count every draft...). And that's the older draft, this is a "new" book one. The problem lay in the fact that ive done many plot changes and im changing both main character's personalities entirely. So i decided to restart and do everything from a clean slate. If you demand proof id be happy to send you all twenty different drafts of my previous first chapter *NOT sarcastic tone* :love:

Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
  8. Keitsumah

Life is getting hectic at college and it's all because of one damn printer who is constantly trolling me!!!! Grr...

Anyways I've hit the wall again in my writing, though i am in a potentially very interesting/intense scene if i do this right...the problem is how to get the characters to their proper places so the chaos can begin.

9. Keitsumah

Hmm.... prologue or blurb? I think i may have come across something good here.

I could use this as a prologue similar to what Twilight did, but i feel like it could be better used as a blurb. Opinions?

10. 123456789

I have a lot of opinions. Do you want a critique on this?

11. Keitsumah

Not sure... im in that dabbling phase again. I want to start the story in the inciting incident, i really do, but I need the reader to be attached to...

Do I? Is it absolutely crucial that i have the reader be attached to the person who dies? Is there a way I can have them grow attached over time maybe even after he dies???

I feel like im on the edge of this huge idea but its going to change the story again! Grr

(the MC's brother dies and thats what sends her on this whole shin-dig)

and the current first chapter i have gives a good setup of the character's personality and my writing group has said they've actually grown attached to her now. So throwing her into the chaos might hurt the story if i don't have the characters introduced beforehand.

12. 123456789

OK, my critique was more on the writing anyway than the idea

13. Keitsumah

Ehh go ahead. Though I will say i do notice the repetition in it now. Bad habit i need to get out of...

14. 123456789

Ye, repetition, also monotonous sentence structure (most sentences are same in length)

Third sentence is a little purply and doesn't mean much too me. Also, presumably anything you work real hard to avoid might destroy your mind, not just panic. Plus, who strives their whole lives to avoid panic?

Minus the repetition in the second paragraph, I'd say that it's a lot better than the first, and, after cleaning, would make for a great blurb or prologue.

15. Keitsumah

solid points, although i was trying to be clever with the word panic by referencing The Panic, a kind of mind control power that the villains in this book have.

16. 123456789

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....Interesting. Need to think about this!

17. Keitsumah

Chapter two complete! The ending turned out different than i initially intended, but it makes the story all the more interesting :D

18. Keitsumah

Ehh stuck again. I need help picking a beginning for this chapter. Opinions?

1) Keit starts out at the hot springs by the farmlands, contemplating her brother's actions, then decides to go back to the inn. (world building and possibly some character building for Keit here)

2) Keit is being carried by Eiro back to the inn sack-of-potatoes style. She rants at him but decides to wait for her explosion and get a free ride to the inn, then blows up in his face and makes a scene. (Personality and character building for Eiro)

3) Keit is in the inn when the howls start and the Shifters attack.

I do realize that I could just start at the first one and go through all three, but I fear i may lose the reader's interest.

19. Keitsumah

Nevermind. Inspiration gave me a big'ol kick in the rear and I wrote three pages in one night when im lucky to get one most of the time XD

20. Keitsumah

*giggling uncontrollably* oh nothing -just that my MC got in a situation where she's not gonna get out of it so easilly this time. :D if i pull this off i might just be able to pass as funny in this book.

21. A.M.P.

Hey,

I've had a bit of a rough patch in my own writing but reading your updates gave me whatever I needed to keep going instead of overthinking/procrastinate.

Keitsumah likes this.
  22. Keitsumah

Lol -maybe the infinite well of creativity that is my brain flooded onto your side of the lawn :p

23. A.M.P.

It was the fear of the unknown really.
    My story and characters morphed so much from their original designs that I have bits and boops that I just blank out. I know what needs to occur (Character A reaffirms himself and starts down a path of personal redemption) but the how and what I need to propel him is a mystery and it scares me. It was all planned but now with new characters, ideas, and directions it's all different.
    However, just keep writing. That's how I figure out things and I shouldn't stop because I'm afraid I don't know yet.

Keitsumah likes this.
  24. Keitsumah

Been bashing my head against the wall again. Dealing with a kissing scene and not making it cheezy is a heck of a lot harder than i thought -let alone making a kiss scene where the MC doesn't like the guy, but she doesn't want to be a complete ass when he's vulnerable.

BUT i did finish it and in a manner i am pretty happy with. I guess drawing on my experience from my actual first kiss helped :rofl: Yeah....he needs practice lol but i love him.

25. Keitsumah

Yikes! Forgot to add that chapter three is finished now...XD

Btw, must say I always grin when I see that opening line.