1. Reis

Reis New Member

Interviews/chats

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Reis, Jun 23, 2010.

Heh, sorry if it's here, it is still somewhat writer related.

Sometime ago, I never realized that the mute person I had been looking for was right under my nose. I just relaized it through a sudden YM chat on the internet when a friend suddenly popped a question out of the blue. That being said isn't a complete blessing, because even if I do find a mute, that's only half the struggle I have in creating my character.

After my interview (and believe me I had more problems pondering what questions to ask rather than understanding my friend), I begin to wonder, are mutes (or most handicapped for that matter)more concerned about simply 'fitting in' rather than the fear of shrinking away or social oppression? or could it be both? I'm redesigning my character now after her likeness but even so my character and my friend may have different circumstances and situations so I'm always left to wonder, not just about my story but my own life and her's.

How about you guys? Had you had a chat with the handicapped? Did you found it inspiring/admirable or were you pitiful and awkwardly scared to even talk to them? Either way I'm not gonna blame you, feel free to be honest.

2. w176

w176 Contributor Contributor

Nope. I found the normal internet mix of whiny bastards, to amazing artists etc.

3. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I think the answer to a question like this is going to be as varied and as diverse as the people for whom it might be a real life situation. Many differently abled people have strong communities from which they derive strength and a feeling of belonging, like the deaf community. But this may not be a universal feeling even for people who might have reason to belong to a given community of differently abled people. Their family's treatment of the situation may well play a large roll in the way the individual defines him/herself. We all have things which make us different. It is, in my opinion, more a matter of degree, not of kind.

4. Sparrow

Sparrow New Member

I agree with Wreybies; basically, everyone is similar but different. No doubt some people who are mute are worried about fitting in (humans tend to be herd animals) and some are probably shrinking and feeling oppressed (either with reason or not). So both and neither.

About interviews; I can relate to your feelings of fear and awkwardness. Not regarding handicapped people specifically, just in general. I know I'm most likely going to have to talk to some people for my characters and I'm not looking forward to it. I'm better in print than speaking. Maybe I can do interviews online? Grrrr.