1. CharlieTheUnicorn13

CharlieTheUnicorn13 New Member

Somewhere in this universe... Is there some reason

Adding chapters

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by CharlieTheUnicorn13, Jan 17, 2008.

Okay. I'm working on a story, and I'm considering adding a few extra chapters in the beginning. There are a few good things about this, and a few bad things. If I add these chapters:
    1. The second main character will have a little more of a back-story.
    2. There's a plausible explanation for how the main character went from being lost in the wilderness to finding a city.
    3. The book would be longer.
    The main thing I'm worried about is that the reader will be less interested. The beginning of the story starts off with action and suspense. The reader might see the beginning as "false hope for an interesting book," and stop reading from there. So, do you think I should add these chapters, or jump right to the part where the two characters meet?

2. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

I don't think you should ever add something simply for the sake of making the book longer. That's never worked for me because it makes the story feel like its been dragged out and that is indeed boring.

If these additions will add advantages 1 and 2 I'd say do it and see how it turns out. If you don't think its met your desired end then just remove them or find an alternative way to present the information. You could always use flashbacks added to other chapters after the beginning.