1. Neidermeyer

Neidermeyer Active Member

So I have this idea...

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Neidermeyer, Jan 16, 2008.

So I got to thinking at work the other day (I work at Texas Roadhouse as a key hourly/server) about writing a book loosely related to restaurants and the people that work there. Here's what I'm thinking about.

It will be set in Middlesex County, Massachusetts. in a city called Nutting Lake. The restaurant that I have created is Boehmann's Pub, it is an Irish style pub and restaurant. Of course, it will be a die hard Boston Red Sox fan base and the owner is of Irish origins. The main characters that work there will be two friends, Steven and Sean, that are like the cool, calm and collected pretty boy and his pot smoking, guitar playing buddy. The antithesis of what people in the states would consider an Irishman. The other is Rose, Boehmann's niece who came over from Ireland to spend time in the states. She is the only true Irish and pretty well drinks the other guys under the table. She is a very rough around the edges kinda girl, but once you get past the exterior, the bark is worse than the bite. The last character is Juan. He is a Mexican man who came to Massachusetts and landed a job at the Pub working in the kitchen. He becomes so fascinated with the Irish culture that he tried to adapt as much as he can, going as far as to change his name, etc.

Anyways, one day the pub is broken into and trashed, and all the Red Sox banners etc are covered over with Yankees banners, and his signed baseball and ball bat are stolen. The workers, all good friends with the owner, decide to try to find out who it is, and learn that it was some people from another restaurant but they're just not sure which one, so they decide to go around and raise havoc, vandalizing every single restaurant in the city until they get some answers. This in turn, leads to an all out "restaurant war" between people of all restaurants (Mexican, Italian, Chinese etc)

It's definetly intended as a comedy and that is what i have thought of so far. Any suggestions, feedback, or comments would be appreciated.

2. Eóin

Eóin New Member

It sounds interesting. I can see it working very well as a comedy.

3. Charis

Charis New Member

I agree, and I can see myself reading such a book. It will work very well as a comedy. An original story-line. Great idea!

I have a question, though - just out of curiousity. What POV will it be in?

4. Neidermeyer

Thanks much ya'll. It was just something that hit me at work and started out as sort of a jest with my friends, but when I sat down and started developing, it all kinda came together. Any ideas on what to do with it would rock.

5. Neidermeyer

As for POV, I was thinking third person; it's what I like to write in.