1. carsun1000

carsun1000 Active Member

help with one of my characters and other ?s

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by carsun1000, May 30, 2011.

Hello everyone

I am currently working on my second novel with a recurring FBI agent from my first novel.
    The problem I am currently having is how to describe someone hiding in plain sight. In investigative world, detectives can find you through various way. this 88 year old does not want to be found. I don't even want to mention using his SSN to find him. It is possible to live a normal life without leaving paper trail? He works at Wal Mart by the way (in the novel that is)
    Also, is it the Dagger Killer through out the novel or the dagger killer?

U.S or U.S. (Abbreviation for United States. It varies a lot)

My last editor didn't do a very good job on some of these mistakes and i don't think that will help me in the long run.

Thank you for your answer. I really appreciate it.

2. FedRafaFan

FedRafaFan New Member

If he has a job at a large multi-national corporation it's unlikely he would be able to live without a papertrail. Does he file taxes? How did he get the job without giving his SSN? How does he cash his checks? How does he pay for things? Does he make phone calls? Does he receive mail?

Maybe he's using other people's identities so he doesn't have to use his own and that's how he does it.

It should be U.S. or US. I think it looks better with the periods.

I'm not sure about "Dagger Killer." Is that a name or something? Or something you just call the guy? It should probably not be capitalized in text, but this may be a stylistic thing.

(* Also, it's "throughout")

3. carsun1000

carsun1000 Active Member

Thank you for the reply

About my character, I thought about him using a dead twin brother's identit. Maybe that will take care of my problem of papertrail.

About the Dagger Killer, the killer will be given this label by the police and the news media. I just wanted to know if I have to capitalize it everytime I write it.
    And thank you on that correction.

4. Caldenfor

Caldenfor New Member

I personally would capitalize it as it is a specific individual, thus a proper noun. I could be wrong though.

5. darkhaloangel

darkhaloangel Active Member

I'd definetly capitalise Dagger Killer. Maybe even hyphenate Dagger-Killer, remember to keep the 'the' little; the Dagger Killer.

Just googles SSN (we call it National Insurance Number in the UK!) - but maybe he has a house in someone else's name, or uses the identify of a dead person. Or maybe just works for cash, and pays rent in cash - and doesn't have a credit trail. That would keep everything off the books.

6. carsun1000

carsun1000 Active Member

Thank you!!! I will definitely look into your suggestions.