1. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

Bridge - the card game. Anyone?

Discussion in 'Research' started by BayView, Aug 21, 2016.

I have an older character looking to hire a modern-day version of the old-style "companion" - someone to help her out through the day and help maintain her independence. I want the older character to hire someone who doesn't know anything about a lot of her daily activities, including playing bridge, because she wants to train the person up from scratch rather than having to un-teach a bunch of bad habits.

Does anyone know bridge well enough to give me an example of a bad habit a mid-level bridge player might have picked up? Something fairly game-specific, if possible.

It's to fill in the line: "Yes, I know. I want someone without any bad habits. Imagine the frustration if I'd hired someone who blah blah blah bridge thing."

Anyone?

2. NigeTheHat

NigeTheHat Contributor Contributor

Something about learning new conventions when they've already developed a load of their own with their previous partner is probably the way to go. A large chunk of bridge is talking in code to each other, so when you're used to a slightly different code, it can get confusing.

A line like:

"Imagine the frustration if I'd hired someone who played weak 2s and I had to beat that idiocy out of them."

Would make sense.

For context, in case you care, 'weak 2s' means opening 2 of a suit to indicate that you've got a lot of length but not many points. A lot of people prefer strong 2s, which is opening 2 of a hand to say pretty much the exact opposite.

It's similar to planning/pantsing in writing - it's not so much wrong as different, but anyone who does it the opposite way to you is clearly a moron.

3. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

That's exactly what I'm looking for! Thanks!