1. stormcat

stormcat Active Member

Do the rebels need a name?

Discussion in 'Research' started by stormcat, Oct 15, 2015.

So I've got a group of rebels fighting against the evil "Exceptionalists". But I want to call them something other than "The rebels". They are an organized group, not a ragtag bunch of misfits. Any suggestions on what to name the group?

2. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributor Contributor

Yes, they need a name.

But it needs to be related to what they stand for...NOT what they're against.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contras This explains why an "anti" title isn't good.

The rebels in Syria have named themselves what they stand for (sorry to be so mealy-mouthed, but I don't want to end up on MI5s radar!)
    The Bolsheviks (Majority Party) named themselves with a confident-sounding title that predicted success (by comparison, the Mensheviks = Minority Party committed political suicide)

3. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

(1) Should be a name that is easy to pronounce for them. A name like, "FOR THE ARTHABEURAGAEA!!" won't do.

(2) Should be a testament for what they stand for.

(3) Should sound confident, like they know they're in the right and that they are going to win.

4. stormcat

stormcat Active Member

It may also be interesting of note that the Exceptionalists (Whom the rebels will be fighting) are a theocratic dictatorship who decrees everything must be white and therefore "pure".

So, I need my rebels to be A) anti-theocracy, if not anti-religion outright B) Brightly colored and C) object to the notion of purity. Still have no idea what to name them.

5. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I agree with @Shadowfax in that the name the group picks for itself should have something to do with what they stand for, or it may also serve as verbal way of undermining the opposition, even with (or especially with) a non-sequitur.

For example (and with no concern for MI5 ;) ) in America, those who would oppose LGBT rights adopted the term "Pro-Family" for themselves. This name serves a psychological purpose. It intends to indicate to the listener that the LGBT community (the perceived opposition) is "anti-family", which we are not, obviously, since what we were fighting for in the case of that brouhaha was to have our families legally recognized. We're totally pro-family. I don't want to sidetrack your thread into a conversation about that political mess, but you can see how the term "pro-family" serves to paint the opposing side (even though it's the term they use for themselves, not the opposing side) in an unfortunate light by way of extrapolation.

Shadowfax likes this.
  6. stormcat

stormcat Active Member

Ah, so Instead of "Anti-theocray" it should be more like "Pro-reason". Yes? I guess that also makes this group pro-democracy, pro-colors, and pro-women's rights. Meanwhile the Exceptionalists are Pro-God, Pro-decency, and Pro-family.

Wreybies likes this.
  7. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Pro-Reason.... See, I like this from a story-telling aspect. (For anyone reading along, anything I say has to do with the development of a story, not my personal POV). Calling themselves "pro-reason" implies that the opposition lacks reason at a fundamental level. Obviously, this is a non-sequitur. Just because you have religion doesn't mean you can't apply reason in your day to day life, obviously, but making that implication certainly would be useful to this group as regards getting new recruits, maintaining internal ideological morale, and basically painting the opposition as baddies.

Shadowfax likes this.
  8. stormcat

stormcat Active Member

I'm trying to instill a "Use your own brain" moral in my book, so the freethinking rebels will be portrayed as good guys, while the mindless theocrats will be the bad guys. Naturally, Atheism will play a small role. With any luck simply having characters that are openly atheist will get my book banned in some places, making it even more popular!:cheerleader:

But I digress. I still need a good name. Should I consider using the religion's "Satan" as a symbol for the rebels, or is that too negative?

I'm thinking the rebels should use the color blue as a symbol. Any historical Blue armies I can use?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2015