Adverbs and adjectives?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by oterror, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Manav

Manav New Member

I don't care about adverbs--

when the plot is action/thriller/adventure and I am too engrossed in it. You know, when the only thing in my mind is 'what will happen next?'. This is not to endorse adverbs, but all I am saying is I can endure it in such instances.

Adverbs tend to bite me most--

when I am led into a world filled with intriguing characters, when I want to experience the subtle changes in the chars personality rather than being told, when I want to feel the emotions of the chars.....

I don't mind adjectives.

2. polarboy

polarboy New Member

Lolly

I disagree with the position that "Anything described can be described some more."

3. Islander

Islander Contributor Contributor

Well, a lot of the time you want to skimp on the realism to make the dialogue easier to read. In real life, people speak in incomplete sentences, make pauses, interruopt themselves in the middle of a word, repeat themselves, and so on. In writing, this looks sloppy and may become tiresome to read, so you simplify and clarify the spoken language - make it less natural, if you will.

4. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

I agree with this, my characters speak like characters rather than real life Earth people. Their dialogue should have a purpose.

What I was agreeing to was that if your story requires broken rules break em idea. My MC is first person narrator he is a seventeen year old boy his thoughts are not going to be entirely free of adverbs and he is sometimes 'telling' the reader what is happening.

5. HorusEye

HorusEye Contributor Contributor

But then you have an adjective. I think you missed the point of the example in my first post. I was trying to say that if you use neither adverbs or adjectives, your range in expression will be quite limited.