Tags:
  1. CleverBrunette

CleverBrunette New Member

Advice Needed for Villain of Story.

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by CleverBrunette, Jun 14, 2012.

Okay this question shall be somewhat combined being I am still figuring out the background of my novel out and feeling about to figure what I shall go with.

For my novel, my characters live in a world where the monsters are known, I made it so vampires, witches, and werewolves are all bad but all of them were at once human, but how they become bad is through the powers given to them by the demons in either a bargain or other means of losing humanity. The story is basically about those who hunt them.

I was thinking within the demons there are three level of the demons, the top level are the ones who are fallen angels, however one is the particular villian of the story. I've been trying to figure out motivation for his character, which I think would be his need for power....and to prove himself to the others on his levels to make him a decent bad guy.

The main thing I've been having trouble is with naming him, being I don't want to give him a name of an well known Angel or Demon but something that sticks to the character, being mostly I stick into urban fantasy I used already made names. Any peices of advice what languages to make a name for or any suggestions in making an interesting name for the particular demon?

2. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

Try Google translate. I usually type in words of meanings I want, search through what it is in various languages, and then either lift the word out and make it a name or transform it slightly. Or take a Greek name and change it slightly perhaps.

My personal favourite seems to be Hungarian - a lot of their words like strange and just right for fantasy novels :D

3. Lady Amalthea

Lady Amalthea Member

Try different mythologies, the ones people don't usually look into: ancient gods from Ur, Assyria or Persia. And how about hindu gods? There seem to be a few thousand of them to pick from.

4. CleverBrunette

CleverBrunette New Member

Thanks to both of you for the advice,it is appreciated, for awhile I was trying to come up with a name when I came to the realization being the specific demon has a title, I don't need to give him a specific name at this point in time. Both of you though gave wonderful suggestions which are good piece of advice but neither really fit with his character. Thank you though

5. luna claire

luna claire Member

He is a fallen angel, then. Gehenna is the Greek for Hell, Hinnom is the Hebrew equivialent. Or he could assume a name, or it could be a title of position that he's reffered to. Or you could use the name of some horrible beast from mythology. Drake, Falin, Behemoth, Ammut, Argus, Grylio, Safat, ect. You could also look into latin/Greek/Roman words or names.

6. nephlm

nephlm New Member

I can't put my hands on my copy of A Dictionary of Angels: Including the Fallen Angels for some reason so I can't come up with examples of fallen angels, but angels, including fallen ones have names that almost always end in el. For example Michael, Gabriel, Raphiel, Uriel, Atuniel, Azazel, etc.

A source I have says that irion is also a common ending but I couldn't think of any exmaples, nor find any in the source so make of that what you will. You also have Metatron, Satan and Rahab so it isn't a hard and fast rule.

7. tupbup

tupbup Member

I've found Norse mythology to be a good source for evil angel names. My favourite to use is Loki or a variant of. My mythology knowledge is weak but I think he was the supposed catalyst for Ragnarok (Armageddon) so thought it an apt name for the main villain in a fantasy novel.

8. Chronicle535

Chronicle535 New Member

I would say that since he is in your higher class of villains and is your main villian. Maybe his motivation is to gain power and become a god and destroying the current god that cast him down? hope this helps with some direction