1. Chesster

Chesster New Member

Genre Attachment

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by Chesster, Jun 18, 2014.

Does your writing echo what you read in terms of genre?

Do you find yourself sometimes 'stuck in the mud' regarding the genre of the writing you produce?

Are there genres that you have always wanted to tackle but never got round to?

2. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

I think most writers often write the novel they'd like to find on the shelf (if they hadn't written it themselves). I'm among them, so I would say that my writing does echo the genres I read.

No, I don't find myself stuck in the mud.

I've written SF and Fantasy for novel length works. For short fiction, I've also written Horror/Suspense, Mystery and Inspirational. It's not really that I've not gotten around to. It's just that there's only so much time, and I have to set priorities.

3. Chesster

Chesster New Member

I am fairly broad in what I read so I hope some day I can be broad with my output. But you have touched on an excellent point, in that we work under time constraints. Most of us can't sit and write all day long, so the time that is put aside to tell the story is priceless in a way. I suppose one could write something completely removed from the norm, but it would have to be a long and slow labour of love. The only problem with that, is it would be easy to find yourself detached similar to visiting a distant cousin on the other side of the world.

4. Thomas Kitchen

Thomas Kitchen Proofreader in the Making Contributor

I'm a rather strange person: I read mostly fantasy and sci-fi, but I mostly write general fiction and drama. I sometimes read the genre in which I like to write, but it's not often. However, this seems to not be too much of a problem, as people who have read my pieces like what they've seen.

As for echoing of what I read, I believe everything we read echoes into what we write. Even if it's how to write a well-rounded character, or how to nail that description of long blond hair. Every genre sparks ideas, and I think that's why it's not a huge problem that I don't read much general fiction - there is character interaction in other stories, and I also have television and video games. I think my writing is the echo of many media outlets. :)

5. Bwater

Bwater Member

This is something I have been contemplating recently, my writing varies across different genres, as does my reading. But the majority of my reading is sci-fi and fantasy and I also predominantly write those.
    However, often when I'm 'free writing' it's heavily influenced by my most recent read

6. sunsplash

sunsplash Bona fide beach bum

Between the Magic City & the Conch Republic
    I'm a write-what-I-read type which, admittedly, only includes a few genres and their subs. I don't read what doesn't interest me so I most definitely wouldn't put in quality writing time for something I'm just not a fan of. That could probably be seen as restricted or even narrow-minded but I prefer to be called particular. :crazy:

The genre I someday hope to tackle and succeed with is historical fiction...when my kids are older and I have more "me" time to dedicate not just to writing but to the research necessary.

7. xanadu

xanadu Contributor Contributor

I read and write mostly general and speculative fiction, but I definitely haven't found myself "stuck"--there are plenty of good stories to tell that I haven't told yet. I don't have any particular desire to go into fantasy/sci-fi/romance/mystery/etc.

8. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

Like TWervin2 I like to write what I'd like to read. I don't always find stuff I like to read so I'm writing with that in mind. I dabble with different genres and even for stuff like fantasy and dystopian I'm still sort of out there - my stuff can seem vintage/ retro or just plain weird. I'm not big on following trends.

I've always wanted to tackle a historical romance. I've got an idea in mind and I've been doing research but it feels overwhelming ( and it's probably the genre I sneered most as being the easiest to write. I wish! )

9. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I mostly read general fiction, so that's what I write. I would find it very hard to write in a genre I'm unfamiliar with, which is why I stick to what I have experience with.

10. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

LOL. Why would you think historical romance would be easy?

11. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

Because some of the heroine & heroine's issues seemed so dumb & basic - I hate you because your grandfather swindled my grandfather out of my land and I have to bed you to get it back, ( what a hardship bedding the rich, handsome hunk you're wildly attracted to but won't admit it for three hundred pages :rolleyes: ). Plus, should I mention I read a lot of Zebra historical romances not the upscale variety and there's a huge difference. Not to slam Zebra but while some of the Zebra romances had tons of historical input making the story rather rich despite some of the goofy reasons for keeping the lovers apart others didn't bother as much. They looked easy.

12. criticalsexualmass

criticalsexualmass Active Member

I make sure that I don't get stuck in a ditch reading the same old stuff. I might read Grisham or Dolan then I'll twist the wheel real hard and pick up Asimov or Steven King for a shift. And I'm always concerned that I'll read too much "modern" fiction so when I've read several modern novels I'll get Twain, or Whitman, Henry James, or something that has some classical significance.

Hmm, I wonder where all those "Mack Bolan" books I read in Jr high school are?...

13. Chesster

Chesster New Member

I maybe should have thrown in the genre attachment question as a little survey. Looking from the above, it seems the majority stick to what they know. I've really enjoyed reading the above comments. I read broad and I read randomly. The blurb and my mood seem to sway my decisions. Subliminal encouragement has a hold on me. I am definitely interested in planning my reading a little more for the benefit of my writing. I have never looked at it that way. I enjoy it and it can be inspiring but that's as far as reading and writing go. It can surely be beneficial.

14. Bwater

Bwater Member

On further reflection I can't imagine many people would attempt- let alone succeed- in writing in a genre they didn't have some vested interest in, though ok sure we'd all benefit from broadening our horizons.
    I don't read romance novels and my writing of love always feels forced and 'clunky.' I wonder were I to read a few would i pick up the necessary language and styles to improve this area

15. Chesster

Chesster New Member

I'm definitely considering the same right this second. Even maybe in regards to the preliminary research side, a library of varied genres to get the creative juices flowing could really help, especially if you're already kicking things off with a palpable storyline and possible plot routes.

16. feathersinflight

feathersinflight Member

Hmm...I usually read a lot of fantasy, limited sci-fi, some general and philosophical fiction, and some classics. But the ideas I use for my writings are different from what I read. I look more at characters, their attitudes, their ideals, and their motives to get a feel for developing my own characters, because that's what I'm weak at. But yes, because I've read so much fantasy, I've also written almost all fantasy. It's primarily because I want to revive that genre from its repetitive stupor. It's also very true that I'd fail splendidly if I tried to write suspense, horror, drama, romance, etc. so I am pretty limited in what I can write well.

17. thearchitect

thearchitect Member

I find that my style can echo the book I am currently/most recently read, especially the tense, for me it's awkward to write in the present tense if I'm currently reading in the past tense and vice versa