1. Dr.QuinnShowFan

Dr.QuinnShowFan New Member

Advice...

Discussion in 'Publishing' started by Dr.QuinnShowFan, Apr 22, 2011.

Okay, so. I started and finished my very first book length novel in November (don't ask how). I edited it, and now am thinking of submitting a query letter to a publisher.
    Any advice?

2. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Supporter Contributor

Google "Query Shark" and check out that blog. Some good advice, samples of good and bad query letters, before and after, etc.

3. Trish

Trish I've been deleted.. again Contributor

Well, if you're in the States, my first suggestion would be to research agents. Then to submit the query to appropriate agents, not publishers directly, but that's just my opinion.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

yes, for fiction, you should have an agent... search the site and you'll find many threads giving a rundown on the process... no need to do it all over again here...

5. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributing Member Contributor

thanks for that tips, I found it really interesting, not to mention helpful. :)

6. TheSpiderJoe

TheSpiderJoe Senior Member

You definitely want to have a solid query letter before you even begin hunting for agents.

I must have spent the better part of a month putting mine together. It was honestly much more challenging than writing the lengthy novel I had just completed. Trying to convey your story in an explosive and entertaining manner in a limited amount of space is taxing to say the least. Definitely send your completed query letter to friends, professors, and anyone else who will read it. The more reviews the better and it'll help instill confidence in your own work.

Once you're sending it out, don't get discouraged by the first few rejections. My initial thought was that something was wrong with my query and I immediately tackled it again to see if I should change anything to make it sound more enticing. I received an email the next day by another agent who sadly rejected me but offered to forward my email to someone else she know that would be more interested than they were about my subject.

I'd be happy to offer my critique and advice when your letter is completed. Feel free to send me a private message.