1. sprirj

sprirj Senior Member

How To Avoid Plot Holes... or even be aware of them!

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by sprirj, Nov 10, 2011.

I don't have writers block, but I can't write! No matter how much I outline, something is nagging at me, and I think I have a plot hole in my story. The headaches come from not knowing what or where it is...I just can't put my finger on it. I don't want to write pages and pages only to find they end up in the bin.
    How do people, especially on a complex plot with many twists and clues etc clearly outline? Can I do this in a diagram? I'm begging for a solution!!!!:confused:

2. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Here's my advice, though you may not like it: write the story.

Write the story, because I find a lot of the time that it's the actual act of putting together the story which reveals plot holes and inconsistencies. And even if it doesn't, it will surely be easier to find (and correct) once it exists as a tangible object, as opposed to an abstract connection of thoughts, plans and ideas in your head.

And if you've written it, if you've read through, and the doubts are still niggling at you that there's something wrong that you're missing, you can give it to someone else to read. A fresh pair of eyes on it can often be what you need to seek out inconsistencies, as your familiarity with the story will get in your way.

1 person likes this.
  3. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

Agree with Banzai - just write the thing. Many times I've had a great idea for the next move and then, after having actually started writing it, I realize that this can't be done, or that has to happen first. It's in the actual writing that you find the holes and speed bumps.

4. Jhunter

Jhunter Mmm, bacon. Contributor

I agree with all of this. Every plot hole (major or small) I find is while writing. And it isn't that hard to fix/change. This is also another reason why I edit as I go (I personally write three chapters than stop to edit before I move on).