1. PrincessGarnet

PrincessGarnet New Member

African literature

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by PrincessGarnet, Dec 17, 2007.

Anyone ever read a fictional book written by an African author? I'm interested in the continent and thought it might be good to read some literature. I have a few recommendations from my tutor, but I was wondering if anyone here had come across anything interesting?

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

anything by the south african author alan paton is good... same goes for fugard, gordimer, coetzee... and michener's 'covenant' is a compelling and comprehensive history of the various south african peoples... but if you meant only black african authors, then you should check out nobel laureate wole soyinka's work...

3. fortune cookie

fortune cookie New Member

Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adiche was amazing, and is truly one of the best books I've ever read.
    Anything by Chinua Achebe is a MUST. I would start with Things Fall Apart or Arrow of God.
    Goodluck

4. Kid At <3

Kid At <3 New Member

This wasn't by an African author, but it shows the cruelty that South Africans faced in the early 1940's. It's called 'The Power of One' by Bryce Courtenay

5. missingmuse

missingmuse New Member

What about Nadine Gordimer?

6. andycerrone

andycerrone New Member

Achebe is a great writer, I would recommend as a good diving point Things Fall Apart, it is a great read and probably is his most popular novel.

7. andycerrone

andycerrone New Member

Also, I'm not sure if you mean African in the terms of the continent, or if you also want to include African-American writing that keeps roots in the traditional African lifestyles in America. This would include Toni Morrison, Patricia Smith (well.. poetry), among many others...

8. Milady

Milady Active Member

The only thing I've read is Achebe's Things Fall Apart, and like the others, I recommend it as a starting place.