Tags:
  1. Raven

Raven Banned

First photos of uncontacted tribe

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Raven, May 30, 2008.

Painted warriors from one of Brazil's last uncontacted tribes have been photographed for the first time.

[​IMG]

They were spotted in Brazil's far western Amazon jungle near the Peruvian border

The photos were taken on flights over the Ethno-Environmental Protected Area along the Envira River in the remote Acre state, the National Indian Foundation or Funai said.

The photos show "strong and healthy" warriors, six huts and a large planted area. But it is not known to which tribe they belong.

"Four distinct isolated peoples exist in this region, whom we have accompanied for 20 years," Funai expert Jose Carlos Meirelles JĂșnior said.

Funai does not make contact with the Indians and prevents invasions of their land, to ensure total autonomy for the isolated tribes, Funai said.

"We did the overflight to show [the tribe's] houses, to show they are there, to show they exist," said Mr Meirelles.

"This is very important because there are some who doubt their existence."

UK based charity Survival International said the Indians are in danger from illegal logging in Peru.

This is driving uncontacted tribes over the border and could lead to conflict with the estimated 500 uncontacted Indians now living on the Brazilian side.

There are more than 100 uncontacted tribes worldwide, most of them in Brazil and Peru, the group said.

Survival director Stephen Corry called for their territory to be protected by international law.

Video

2. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    This has given me a very good story idea about why humans haven't been contacted by aliens yet. Thanks for posting it, very interesting.
    You really have to wonder what they think of the plane flying overhead. I understand why they'd have the arrows ready to shoot it.

3. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I think this is amazing!
    Thanks for sharing Raven!

4. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

Well I only hope that for their sakes that the protection law comes about. It would be horrible to see them lose their homes and land because...how does one put it...domesticated? that sounds rather offensive to them...ok...human that live in....man made areas will have to do....so yeah, it would be horrid that these people should lose their homes because the likes of all of us are logging their homes.

It really is great to see such an amazing photo though. Looks like they were trying to protect themselves from the invading of the plane and its passengers to me really.

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I saw this on the news. They also said that there are about 100 such uncontacted tribes worldwide, mostly in Brazil and Peru.

6. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

The sad truth is that right now, as we speak, well meaning groups of individuals are packing their bags to go and meet these 'un-met' people in the jungle. They will bring them religion, illness, poverty, a sense of shame about their nudity, and maybe cell-phones.

When did it become our place to kick other people out of Eden?

7. Torana

Please tell me you are NOT serious about that?

8. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

They ARE in a protected area.

9. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

I agree. To an advanced alien civilization, we're probably just naked people jumping around shooting arrows.

And yes, Torana, Wrey is unfortunately right. That is exactly what will happen.

10. Torana

that is outright disgusting....leave them alone. They are thriving, they are living in Edan! WHY INTERFERE WITH THEIR LIVES??????

Argh! Mankind is truly a disease!

11. Wreybies

Oh, I am very serious!

Do I know that this is happening right now for a fact. No. Have I seen the outcome of when this happens with my own two eyes? Yes. When I was at university we took a week trip to Palenke and then to Teotihuacan. The indigenous peoples living there were treated in a manner that made it impossible for me to enjoy my study of the ancient monuments which had been built by their ancestors. It was aweful.

You can be sure that somewhere in the world, right now, the sight of those two men brandishing their bows to the sky, has filled someone's chest with the renewed sense that there are still untouched people who can 'be saved.'

They don't need saving. They live in paradise already.

12. Torana

I only hope that in this case, Wrey, you aren't right!

I;d hate to see their lives ruined by our mistakes. :(

13. Raven

Raven Banned

Well like all things evolution should be left to itself. But I think now they are known someone will want to study them up front and personal. So their existence will change forever when that happens. If their cannibals well they wont last long should they feast on the first visitors.

14. Wreybies

There's a great movie called At Play in the Fields of the Lord. I will warn you, it is rather biased against the idea of interfering with peoples who live in a non-technological manner, aka tribal cultures. There is nudity, so not for the little ones.

The title of the movie is a metaphor for the idea of humanity messing with what god has created.

15. Raven

Raven Banned

Well they should be protected. If anything they are not part of the technological world and therefore do not understand our international laws.