Tags:
  1. Gheala_InFlacari

Gheala_InFlacari New Member

After revenge? Or before?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Gheala_InFlacari, Jul 29, 2009.

In my novel, the protagonist is a normal guy whose mother was killed brutally by his kidnapper. He'll soon to desire revenge and maybe you could say he'll almost be the bad guy in the storyline.
    So, how should I start the novel? Should I start back when he was normal? Or when he started to take revenge from the world?
    Of course, if I begin with him taking revenge, I'll describe why he's doing so and also tell his memories through the novel. It's about pain and human struggle.

2. Rumpole40k

Rumpole40k Banned

I prefer starting with him taking revenger. Consider this. Your MC walks over to a mangled body that is just barely clinging to life. He's covered with the victim's blood. He lights a cigarette, kneels down, next to the soon to be corpse and says, "You know, I used to be just a regular joe." It would start things moving and be a fairly good hook.

Just my thoughts,

~R

3. Gheala_InFlacari

Oh! That.. really helped me out. I was thinking the same thing, but then thought the reader might want to know the past of the protagonist. Yet again, I can easily tell that past gradually.
    Thanks a lot, honestly.

4. Rumpole40k

Rumpole40k Banned

No problem. Have fun with the story.

5. Kas

Kas New Member

It's difficult to offer story advice, especially with so little info. . but I would probably begin the story at 'revenge'. Keep his past a mystery and his present scenes interesting. It can be a natural hook to leave the mc's motives and ultimate reasoning somewhat vague. Keep your readers asking questions, and they'll keep turning pages. . provided that what is happening in the moment is also interesting and engaging.

Jeff Lindsay's Dexter began with a murder. It's not until the end of the first book that we find out why Dexter is the way he is and what events changed him. It's not even particularly important. . The meat of the story is Dexter in the now. I suspect your character is somewhat similar. The kidnapping in his past sounds like it exists as a reason for his present state; it's not the real story.

My 2 cents. .

6. murphcas

murphcas New Member

I agree with the others. I think your story will be stronger if you start with revenge. It will hook people faster then if you told his whole life story first and then went into how he wants revenge. Then you could also make his past a mystery that becomes unraveled by someone he's slowly becoming close to ;) or something else haha. I just got lost in my thoughts there.

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

There is no correct answert to this. It is a choice that you, the writer, must make. Either approac hcan be built into a strong story with plenty of action and suspense.

8. Gheala_InFlacari

Then I'll start with revenge. And you're right, Kas. The story isn't based on the kidnapping at all, it's more about his mother's death and the pain that caused.
    Lol Murph, I'm actually going to make him fall in love with someone who will be nosy enough to reveal his past.
    ^^ Thanks everyone.