1. robertpri007

robertpri007 Member

After writing late, do you have to wind down before bed?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by robertpri007, Oct 14, 2012.

This has bothered me since my first high school term paper. I cannot write until late and simply go to bed. My mind explodes with ideas, conflicts, and characters. I have to spend at least an hour with something vanilla, like Leno or the weather on TV.

I can't even read because it takes mental focus, and that will get me recharged. No sleep after that. Toss and turn.

Do you have to wind down and get away from your project to have a peaceful sleep?

cydney likes this.
  2. Thromnambular

Thromnambular Member

Nope. All it takes for me to find sleep is for the sun to rise. As soon as I see daylight, I get extremely tired.

3. robertpri007

robertpri007 Member

Heh, well done! And you write vampire stories? Or just stay up all night?

4. prettyprettyprettygood

prettyprettyprettygood Active Member

I always have to wind down to sleep no matter what I've been doing, whether it's writing or watching tv. I have a few apps that play wave sounds, cricket sounds etc so I listen to those to help calm my thoughts.

5. Youssef Salameh

Youssef Salameh Active Member

Hello dear friends. The same thing used to happen with me, but overcame it afterwards, thanks God. The reason for that feeling, as i believe, is the feeling of agitation and satisfaction that comes after making a great and right thing.
    In my opinion, a person in such case should divide his time according to the work he is doing between days, hours, minutes, etc... of course after doing HIS/HER best, and to leave the rest to God.
    And I wish you all the best.

6. Thromnambular

Thromnambular Member

Vampire stories? No, I don't write any non-fiction, so I don't write about my life.
    Seriously though, I just can't write during the day. So, I've inverted my schedule: sleep through the day, work/write at night.

7. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Well, if I want to do writing, or anything that excites the mind, I do it well before bed, otherwise, I'm up all night. Early in the morning to about three in the afternoon seem to be ideal for me.

8. Steph4136

Steph4136 Senior Member

I used to suffer from insomnia and got really sick of it. Especially having kids, as they wake up so early. I can't go off four hours of sleep anymore like I did in my 20s. So I did what needed to be done and that included not doing any writing at night. Or reading in bed, took the TV out of our room and cut my coffee consumption to one mug a day (first thing in the morning).

It's worth doing all of that to get a good night's sleep. To both fall asleep and stay asleep.

9. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

no... i don't...

10. Mckk

Mckk Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

Yeah I find it hard to sleep afterwards, takes me about an hour of lying in bed before my mind shuts down. Reading the Bible is calming and interesting and helps unwind, or hugging and chatting with my hubby is also good :) Or drawing. But yeah, straight from writing to bed is often bad. Last night was fine though but probably because I only slept after the scene was finished.

11. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

No, in fact if my writing session has been a productive one, I find that sleep comes quite easily - the cool of the evening.

12. peachalulu

peachalulu Contributing Member Reviewer Contributor

If I'm having a good writing run, then yes it's very hard for me to get to sleep. I keep a note pad by my bed and usually
    sit up to jot down snippets or sentences that just come to me. Sometimes I don't even bother turning on the
    lamp and have these weird slanted messages the next day to sort through. Like Mckk I read the Bible or even just a short
    story or poetry to take my mind off my own work and relax.

Sometimes the work is so exciting, that I just ride it out and stay up late. I never really
    regret it in the morning because the high of having written something productive makes up for the lack of sleep.

13. Fivvle

Fivvle Contributing Member

I can never say for sure if I'll need to wind down after writing late.

For me, sleep is a fickle beast.

14. Jayce

Jayce Member

Writing helps me wind down. The evening is the only time l get to write so l write after my kid is in bed or, if l work that evening, l write for a bit after getting home.

15. pinelopikappa

pinelopikappa Senior Member

Maybe your problem is not just about your mind not calming down. Perhaps you drink too much coffee or something like that? Maybe you should get up earlier in the morning so that you feel sleepy at night?

I have insomnia when I don't work, but when I have a full time job I can't keep my eyes open by night fall. Maybe your biorythm needs adjusting a bit?